Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC Migration - Retaining IP Addresses

adel dardari
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I have an existing DC environment with ESXI. I will use some dummy IP in this post to make it easy to understand.

This ESXI got an IP Address 172.1.1.0/24 and it's gateway is R1 : 172.1.1.1 

I got couple of VM's running on ESXI and sharing this subnet and gateway:

VM A : 172.1.1.2

VM B: 172.1.1.3

VM C: 172.1.1.4 ( WLC )

I am in the process of migrating VM C (WLC) only to a new ESXI host in a new site and i want to retain the existing IP Address of WLC so i don't go and update all existing NADs configurations. This means that in the new environment i need to advertise a more specific subnet ( 172.1.1.4 ) while i keep on advertising the original site subnet (R1). 

-what are my options on achieving this without causing a route loop

- at the new site R2 , do i create a new gateway and thus, advertise 172.1.1.4/30 ?  ( .4 is the host and .5 is the gateway ) 

- do i need IBGP between R1 and R2 ?

- I am explaining above scenario and not considering other network devices i.e SDWAN/Firewalls..etc , but do i have other options considering that i am not only dealing with only routers ?

appreciate the help

1 Reply 1

Hi

I dont believe this is going to work. You will be advertising a more specific route but this route is overlaping an existing propagated route.

One alternative would be break the /24 network on the current site and create a new /30 on the new site. This way you would be good with routing while keeping the currently WLC ip address.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card