cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

write memory - CPU Utilization

rsgamage1
Level 3
Level 3

I have a 1841 running on c1841-spservicesk9-mz.124-7d.

I see more than 80% of CPU utilization soon after saving the configuration(write mem), which lasts for several seconds. Could this lead to a router crash at a particular stage?

Is it due to a bug in IOS?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello Ranil,

the cpu on a router like yours can have these spikes.

About why saving the config can cause a so high cpu usage I think that modern routers that are SDM ready can actually have to create an XML file for the running config, then they have to translate it to a simple text file and to write it on the NVRAM.

So the duty can be now heavier then in the past.

I usually look at the cpu average 1min as the parameter to decide if a router is working fine or it is overloaded.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Router crashes are due to software bugs, not hardware utilization. The 1800's are small routers and use a lower end processor. My 1800's do the same and I have never had a problem with them yet.

Hope that helps.

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Ranil,

if the cpu goes over 80% only for several seconds it shouldn't lead to a router crash.

Is it due to a bug in IOS?

It may be after having seen a bug about HSRP in your other post ...:)

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hi Giuseppe,

You are quite right. In fact, I came across another bug which says router crashes when the write memory and

secure boot-image commands are executed simultaneously(Ref: CSCsg69124).

I've been thinking since about a week regarding this high CPU utilization when saving the runnging config.

When I noticed that it consumes lot of processing power, I was a bit suspicious that this symptom also has something to do with the affected image.

So do you mean to say that this normal and expected?

FYI: the average CPU utilization is around 2% at the moment.

It's likely normal behavior, since many Cisco software based routers spike their CPU when writing to the flash, such as loading a new IOS via tftp or FTP. Plus, the CPU might have to parse out the config before it saves it (often there's a delay before a show run vs. a show config.)

Hello Ranil,

the cpu on a router like yours can have these spikes.

About why saving the config can cause a so high cpu usage I think that modern routers that are SDM ready can actually have to create an XML file for the running config, then they have to translate it to a simple text file and to write it on the NVRAM.

So the duty can be now heavier then in the past.

I usually look at the cpu average 1min as the parameter to decide if a router is working fine or it is overloaded.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hi,

Many thanks for sharing your experiences and thoughts . I'm convinced that this is expected for an SDM enabled low-end ISR.

I've made an IOS upgrade as well(to correct the HSRP bug); CPU utilization remains the same as it was before.

Regards,

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card