Views
Helpful
Replies

ZBF: Traffic passing from zone to zone

_rucisco_
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone,

I have a very simple setting in Packet Tracer to test what I learned from zone-based firewalls.

WAN <==>[Fa0/0] c2811 [Fa0/1]<==> LAN

I am using c2811 router, which is the only one in Packet Tracer 6.0.1 (the only version I have access to), because it is the only router I could find the zone-member command to assign an interface to a zone. Routers c2901 and c2911 don't have this command, or I couldn't find it (is it somewhere different from the interface menu?).

So my configuration is very simple:

zone security LAN
zone security WAN
zone-pair security LAN2WAN source LAN destination WAN
zone-pair security WAN2LAN source WAN destination LAN
!
interface FastEthernet0/0
  ip address 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0
  zone-member security WAN
  duplex auto
  speed auto
!
interface FastEthernet0/1
  ip address 192.168.2.1 255.255.255.0
  zone-member security LAN
  duplex auto
  speed auto
!

From what I read in several sites (including Cisco's) after creating the zones, assigning interfaces to them and creating the zone pairs, all inter zone traffic should be block. However, I can ping from one PC in LAN to another PC in WAN.

What am I missing?

Thanks in advance!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello,

I am using the latest version (8), and your setup works as expected (all traffic between both hosts is blocked by the ZBF).

So in all likelihood the outdated version you are using is the culprit...

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Hello,

I am using the latest version (8), and your setup works as expected (all traffic between both hosts is blocked by the ZBF).

So in all likelihood the outdated version you are using is the culprit...

_rucisco_
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you very much. That's really helpfull.

Why the behaviour in older versions is different form the expected behaviour? Aren't actual firmwares being used in Packet Tracer?

Hello,

Packet Tracer does not use real IOS images, it basically is just a simulator for learning the basics. Different versions have different feature sets...I think yours (version 6) is rather old ?

Either way, can you download version 8 ?

Ohh, I thought they were real images but with less features.

I can personally download a newer version but I should stick to version 6 becuase that is the one used in my school....

Thanks!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card