Views
Helpful
Replies

bad-cli when pushing Configuration Template

rudimocnik
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

It seems that I am hitting a bug with pushing a very generic template for a C1111-8PLTEEAW* that is connected to WAN via wired interface Gi0/0/1. cEdge is running IOS-XE SDWAN version 16.12.3.0.3752. All controllers are running 19.2.2. The router has control connection built to the controllers and is online and reachable.

When pushing the template I get this log output in the GUI

[16-Jul-2020 9:48:14 CEST] Configuring device with feature template: generic_wired
[16-Jul-2020 9:48:15 CEST] Generating configuration from template
[16-Jul-2020 9:48:18 CEST] Checking and creating device in vManage
[16-Jul-2020 9:48:20 CEST] Device is online
[16-Jul-2020 9:48:20 CEST] Updating device configuration in vManage
[16-Jul-2020 9:48:23 CEST] Pushing configuration to device.
[16-Jul-2020 9:48:28 CEST] Pre-checks on vManage have passed. Continuing with pushing configuration to device.
[16-Jul-2020 9:48:31 CEST] Pushing configuration to device. Please wait ... 
[16-Jul-2020 9:49:25 CEST] Template push failed after 3 retries.
[16-Jul-2020 9:49:38 CEST] Device failed to process request.  Error Message - completed-with-failure
Error received from the device is : 
bad-cli - No controller Cellular 0/2/0, parser-context - No controller Cellular 0/2/0, parser-response - 
% Cannot remove controllers this wayError received from the device is : 
bad-cli - No interface Vlan1, parser-context - No interface Vlan1, parser-response - 
% Default interface VLAN 1 may not be deleted.Error received from the device is : 
bad-cli -  ip address, parser-context -  ip addressError received from the device is : 
bad-cli -  ip address, parser-context -  ip addressError received from the device is : 
bad-cli -  ip address, parser-context -  ip address

I also pulled up logs from the vManage nms.

From the logs attached it seems that the vManage is failing on some steps where it is trying to do a "no" command on some default configuration. See a snippet below (from :

Caused by: java.lang.Exception: <transaction-status>
  <controller-type-processed>vmanage</controller-type-processed>
  <transaction-state>completed-with-failure</transaction-state>
  <transaction-id>27786</transaction-id>
  <confd-errno>-1164</confd-errno>
  <confd-err-tag>Unknown</confd-err-tag>
  <cli-errors>
    <bad-cli>no controller Cellular 0/2/0</bad-cli>
    <err-loc>6</err-loc>
    <parser-context>no controller Cellular 0/2/0</parser-context>
    <parser-response>
% Cannot remove controllers this way</parser-response>
    <confd-rollback>false</confd-rollback>
  </cli-errors>
  <cli-errors>
    <bad-cli>no interface Vlan1</bad-cli>
    <err-loc>14</err-loc>
    <parser-context>no interface Vlan1</parser-context>
    <parser-response>
% Default interface VLAN 1 may not be deleted.</parser-response>
    <confd-rollback>false</confd-rollback>
  </cli-errors>
  <cli-errors>
    <bad-cli> ip address</bad-cli>
    <err-loc>6</err-loc>
    <parser-context> ip address</parser-context>
    <parser-response/>    <confd-rollback>true</confd-rollback>
  </cli-errors>
  <cli-errors>
    <bad-cli> ip address</bad-cli>
    <err-loc>6</err-loc>
    <parser-context> ip address</parser-context>
    <parser-response/>    <confd-rollback>true</confd-rollback>
  </cli-errors>

Note that there are two errors. The one in the blue with a confd-rollback status of false and the second in red with confd-rollback status of true. I am assuming the later is causing the task to fail.

Regards,

Rudi

11 Replies 11

Did you guys fixed this?
i have the same errors
thanks

Hi Manuel

No, I am still looking ways to come around this. I will post a solution as soon as it's available. I have another C1111-4PLTEEA router running the same version 16.12.3.0.3752, however this one is connecting via LTE and had no issues attaching the template. 

C1111-8PLTEEAWB

Failure
Device failed to process request. Error Message - completed-with-failure Error received from the device is : bad-cli - No controller Cellular 0/2/0, parser-context - No controller Cellular 0/2/0, parser-response - % Cannot remove controllers this wayError received from the device is : bad-cli - Controller Cellular 10, parser-context - Controller Cellular 10Error received from the device is : bad-cli - No vtp domain sdwanlab, parser-context - No vtp domain sdwanlabError received from the device is : bad-cli - No controller Cellular 10, parser-context - No controller Cellular 10Error received from the device is : bad-cli - ip address, parser-context - ip addressError received from the device is : bad-cli - ip address, parser-context - ip addressError received from the device is : bad-cli - ip address, parser-context - ip addressError received from the device is : bad-cli - ip address, parser-context - ip addressError received from the device is : bad-cli - ip address, parser-context - ip addressError received from the device is : bad-cli - ip address, parser-context - ip addressError received from the device is : bad-cli - ip address, parser-context - ip addressError received from the device is : bad-cli - ip address, parser-context - ip addressError received from the device is : bad-cli - ip address, parser-context - ip address
C1111-8PLTEEAWB-FGL223816AH
C1111-8PLTEEAW*
Branch-1-C1111
[20-Jul-2020 18:39:23 UTC] Configuring device with feature template: B1-C1111-MASTER-TEMPLATE
[20-Jul-2020 18:39:24 UTC] Generating configuration from template
[20-Jul-2020 18:39:30 UTC] Checking and creating device in vManage
[20-Jul-2020 18:39:31 UTC] Device is online
[20-Jul-2020 18:39:31 UTC] Updating device configuration in vManage
[20-Jul-2020 18:39:37 UTC] Pushing configuration to device.
[20-Jul-2020 18:39:42 UTC] Pre-checks on vManage have passed. Continuing with pushing configuration to device.
[20-Jul-2020 18:39:44 UTC] Pushing configuration to device. Please wait ...
[20-Jul-2020 18:40:34 UTC] Template push failed after 3 retries.
[20-Jul-2020 18:40:41 UTC] Device failed to process request. Error Message - completed-with-failure
bad-cli - No controller Cellular 0/2/0, parser-context - No controller Cellular 0/2/0, parser-response -
bad-cli - Controller Cellular 10, parser-context - Controller Cellular 10Error received from the device is :
bad-cli - No vtp domain sdwanlab, parser-context - No vtp domain sdwanlabError received from the device is :
bad-cli - No controller Cellular 10, parser-context - No controller Cellular 10Error received from the device is :
bad-cli - ip address, parser-context - ip addressError received from the device is :
bad-cli - ip address, parser-context - ip addressError received from the device is :
bad-cli - ip address, parser-context - ip address

thanks for your quick response
my device is a C1111-8PLTEEAW* same IOS XE release bootflash:c1100-ucmk9.16.12.3.SPA.bin

[20-Jul-2020 18:39:23 UTC] Configuring device with feature template: B1-C1111-MASTER-TEMPLATE
[20-Jul-2020 18:39:24 UTC] Generating configuration from template
[20-Jul-2020 18:39:30 UTC] Checking and creating device in vManage
[20-Jul-2020 18:39:31 UTC] Device is online
[20-Jul-2020 18:39:31 UTC] Updating device configuration in vManage
[20-Jul-2020 18:39:37 UTC] Pushing configuration to device.
[20-Jul-2020 18:39:42 UTC] Pre-checks on vManage have passed. Continuing with pushing configuration to device.
[20-Jul-2020 18:39:44 UTC] Pushing configuration to device. Please wait ...
[20-Jul-2020 18:40:34 UTC] Template push failed after 3 retries.
[20-Jul-2020 18:40:41 UTC] Device failed to process request. Error Message - completed-with-failure
bad-cli - Controller Cellular 10, parser-context - Controller Cellular 10Error received from the device is :
bad-cli - No vtp domain sdwanlab, parser-context - No vtp domain sdwanlabError received from the device is :
bad-cli - No controller Cellular 10, parser-context - No controller Cellular 10Error received from the device is :
bad-cli - ip address, parser-context - ip address

16.12.4 is released now

Hi

I found a workaround and the template finally attached sucessfully. I did not upgrade however. 

What is going on is essentially is vManage trying to delete the default config from cEdge and router is just not liking it. What you need to do is to include all the mandatory config in your device template. 

In my logs above you can see two errors 1) No controller Cellular 0/2/0 and 2) No interface Vlan1. That is mandatory (default) config that vManage is trying to delete and this is preventing the template to attach. So I solved the problem by creating a feature template for cellular controller and a feature template for VPN interface SVI and choose to use vlan1 interface and used those in my parent device template. I also did the reset config in between just to start fresh.

Please see feature templates attached.

I also had this issue with C1111-8PLTE router. Did below change in the device template and attached it again. It was successful.

In the device Template under the "cellular" tab add a "cellular controller" default feature template

Regards,

Tharindu

Ian Waddell
Level 1
Level 1

I opened a TAC because this issue is still not resolved, I did the wokaround by adding a celluarl controller feature template and now I can control my C1111 in vManage mode.  However, I feel this is a bit ridiculous and an oversight by Cisco.  TAC said that it's not a bug and it was designed this way.  But why should I have to configured the cellular aspect of this router to migrate the cEdge from CLI mode to vManage mode...what If I have zero intentions of using the cellular WAN ports.  My control is already UP using a physical WAN port.

TAC did seem to understand my POV and they create an enhancment request ID (see ID below).

I suggest others report to TAC and request the enhancment request be implemented.

Ian

Below you can find the defect that has been filed as a result our discussion. For now it’s internal view only which means it is now visible on the internet and it might take a while from the developer team to share feedback with us.

CSCvw57187 bad-cli - No controller Cellular 0/2/0, parser-context ...

Thank you,

** NOTE: please include attach@cisco.com in your replies to have all the documentation attached to the case. **

.:|:.:|:.

CISCO

Eng_Muqrin
Level 1
Level 1

Try to update to version 17, then try  

It works after attaching the cellular feature template to device template. Issue happened to me with 1161-8TEP model running 17.3.2 code. We have a lot devices with same model and software code running but didn't see this issue. Observed this issue only in new devices that are coming up with 17.2.1 image with SDWAN controller mode enabled as factory defaults.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco