cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco SDWAN - vManage CPU threshold

RS19
Level 4
Level 4

I am using vManage version 20.9.3.2. By default when the vManage CPU utilization increase by certain % it is considered as Critical & it is shown in the dashboard.

I would like to understand the below.

1. What is the default  % which is defined as critical ?

2. How to see the value in the vManage GUI ?

3. Is it possible to change the % value ? Possibility of customizing it to the desired value ?

For ex - If I want to set the threshold value as 60% & if the utilization is more than 60% alert email should be generated.

12 Replies 12

So you use vmange on prem?

MHM

No - It is Cloud

RS19
Level 4
Level 4

I have seen this link. But this is not relevant to my queries ?

Hi,

this is under system / alarm configuration in CLI. "show alarm [abc]" shows existing configuration.

Default is 60/75/90 for low-medium-high watermark and these trigger medium-major-critical alarms respectively.

You can play with values via CLI, example:

config terminal
 system
  alarms
   cpu-usage low-watermark-percentage 50 medium-watermark-percentage 60 high-watermark-percentage 70 interval

However, I didn't find an option in GUI. If device is vManage-vmanaged by device template I don't see an option to add. There is no CLI add-on template for controllers, so you cannot push config via add-on template as feature template for non-template-supported configs (like we normally do for IOS XE devices).

But, if controller is vmanage-managed by CLI template (i.e the whole config is CLI based), then you can push this config.

I played with values in CLI taking existing memory-usage into account for example, below alarms are generated:

KananHuseynli_0-1702628008305.png

For email notification, you can configure notification in Monitor > Alarm >  Alarm Notifications > Add Alarm Notification :

KananHuseynli_1-1702628131150.png

Note that, multiple values are allowed in one alarm, like if severity of alarm is major or critical for cpu usage, then send email alarm.

Besides email alarms, webhook alarms are also supported.

HTH,
Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.

RS19
Level 4
Level 4

The below command which you have shown is default configurtion in vManage or you have added the below command.
Is it possible to find out what is the default values from CLI ? If so how to find it in vManage ? 

cpu-usage low-watermark-percentage 50 medium-watermark-percentage 60 high-watermark-percentage 70 interval  

In addition my vManage is in CLI mode.

As I mentioned previously:

"Default is 60/75/90 for low-medium-high watermark and these trigger medium-major-critical alarms respectively."

50/60/70 are custom values. You configure them under system / alarms in CLI, see previous comment I added the entire config.

HTH,
Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.

RS19
Level 4
Level 4

Thanks. I understood your point. ButI would like to know how can I check the default settings ?

Is this applicable to vBond & vSmart ?

The vManage is currently in cloud & managed by Cisco. Is it possible to change the settings without Cisco help ?

show alarm cpu-usage - shows existing values, so it you didnt touch the config, it will show default values.

vSmart and vBond support these alarm commands.

It if is Cisco/provider managed, of course they should do, if you dont have any kind of write/ change access.

HTH,

RS19
Level 4
Level 4

vManage as well right it supports ?

Yes, it is regular viptela command, supported on all controllers via CLI or CLI-based templates.

HTH,

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card