Views
Helpful
Replies

Controllers not forming overlay connections

Joshua Marks
Level 1
Level 1

Hi community,

I am labbing Cisco SD-WAN in my eve-ng environment. I have been following instructions from these two guides:

https://codingpackets.com/blog/cisco-sdwan-self-hosted-lab-part-2/

https://www.theansweris101010.network/sd-wan-deploying-the-controllers/

I have tried multiple times to deploy the controllers and have them connect and appear in the vManage GUI,. However, no matter which way I onboard the vSmart and vBond to vManage, disable/enable the tunnel-interfaces, there are no orchestrator connections established. This includes:

- vManage tunnel enabled, onboard vSmart and then vBond with tunnels disabled, then enable tunnels.

- vManage tunnel enabled, onboard vBond and then vSmart with tunnels disabled, then enable tunnels.

- vManage tunnel disabled, onboard vSmart and then vBond with tunnels disabled, then enable tunnels.

- vManage tunnel disabled, onboard vBond and then vSmart with tunnels disabled, then enable tunnels.

- vManage tunnel enabled, onboard vSmart and then vBond with tunnels enabled.

All controllers have IP reachability over VPN0. In every scenario, there are no orchestrator connections created, not even a history of attempted connections:

vBond# show orchestrator connections

!nothing

vBond# show orchestrator connections-history

!nothing

Here is a diagram of the controller topology:

Viptela Controllers.png

I have uploaded the running configs of each controller as well as the local properties for reference. I'm really unsure what I am doing wrong because in many other lab examples, this part seems to just work.

Thanks in advance,

Josh

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joshua Marks
Level 1
Level 1

I've got the controllers up and running now. I'll go ahead and provide the solution for future reference. I used a site-id of 0... As soon as I changed the site-id on the controllers to another number, the connections were formed as expected!

Further reading shows that the site-id must be a number between 1 and (2^32-1). But the command accepts 0... Wouldn't it make sense not remove 0 from the input range if it is not a viable option?

site-id command.png

Josh

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Joshua Marks
Level 1
Level 1

I've got the controllers up and running now. I'll go ahead and provide the solution for future reference. I used a site-id of 0... As soon as I changed the site-id on the controllers to another number, the connections were formed as expected!

Further reading shows that the site-id must be a number between 1 and (2^32-1). But the command accepts 0... Wouldn't it make sense not remove 0 from the input range if it is not a viable option?

site-id command.png

Josh