cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Demonstrate the load balancing between two ISP

RohitRaj03827
Spotlight
Spotlight

I have to demonstrate the load balancing between two isp. customer has two mpls connection from different providers, he wants to load balance between two provider, how we can achieve this if im doing on prem deployement of sd-wan controller, customer has sd-wan cedge routers. what will be the templates or steps to configure ?

Regards,
Rohit Raj
12 Replies 12

By default, it is ECMP and load share the traffic.

Thanks,

Srikanth

Srikanth Reddy Navuluri

So in viptela sd-wan if i am using two MPLS connection for trasnport connection to connect with on prem controllers, so remote site sd-wan router can automatically load balance using ECMP method with two MPLS connections.

Is that my correct understanding? Is that what you are saying?

can explain more because i have to explain the customer as well.

Regards,
Rohit Raj

Each MPLS transport is a color in Viptela terminology, used to construct the TLOC. You can think of it as a next-hop. For example you could have private1 and private2 as your colors. Routers will build tunnels between each other. If your sites have both colors, they will build tunnels over both. By default, ECMP is used for traffic. If you don't want to do load sharing, you need to use a policy.

Daniel Dib
CCIE #37149
CCDE #20160011

Please rate helpful posts.

Yes, it builds TLOC and tunnels on both the links. Remote branch network can be reachable on both the tunnels by default and it is based on ECMP hashing.

Find the attached screenshot from one of our lab guides which shows that the same route is reachable on both MPLS and biz-internet and the destination TLOC IP is same.

Hi Srikanth Reddy Navuluri,
Greetings of the day!
thanks for the reply. i am convinced with your explanations.
If on prem SD-WAN controllers are accessible via both MPLS provider by remote side sd-wan router , in this case will above explanation work ?
Regards,
Rohit Raj

Your controllers will not come in the Data Path of your serviceside networks.

Thanks,

Srikanth

yes that the problem, do we have any solutions for this.

I am facing same problem.
Regards,
Rohit Raj

You need a route for the controller network in VPN 0. Normally, you would just have a default route towards the provider. What's the problem you are trying to solve?

Daniel Dib
CCIE #37149
CCDE #20160011

Please rate helpful posts.

Hi daniel.dib,
Customer has on prem controllers at DC, and customer has number of remote sites , all sites got two cEdge routers and two mpls connection from different provider.

Let say one MPLS name is JIO and other one is Airtel.
JIO MPLS link is connected to one cEdge router and Airtel MPLS link is connected to second cEdge router.

remote site cEdge routers are reachable to on prem controllers via both mpls, means the cEdge router which has JIO MPLS link terminated , is reachable to controller and same goes to Airtel MPLS link terminated at second cEdge router.

in this senario i want to use TLOC extension feature to extend the controller connections towards both cEdges routing using JIO and MPLS.

i have follow the configuration guide, but control plan is not getting up through TLOC extension for both connection JIO and MPLS.

have attached the screenshot with issue.

kindly help.

Regards,
Rohit Raj

Did you advertise tloc extension subnets into MPLS? Check the reachability from TLOC tunnel interface to all the controllers.

Thanks,

Srikanth

yes sir,

i have already advertise tloc extension subnets into MPLS and also checked the reachability from tloc tunnel interface to controllers.

anything else am i missing here ?
Regards,
Rohit Raj

It's not a problem, Rohit. It's by design. Your on-prem controllers should be in a different zone than your DC WAN edges.

For on-prem, controllers are not in Service VPN of DC WAN edges.

And DC WAN edges should reach the controllers using VPN0.

Thanks,

Srikanth

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: