cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Intermittent WAN outage Ethernet port carrier change & Events dropped

jkieburtz
Level 1
Level 1

I have an MX64 that has (very intermittent) connectivity issues with the outside world. It can be anywhere from 4 minutes to 15 minutes and it can happen 3 times in a day or once in a week. When I check the event logs I see 'Ethernet port carrier change'. Right around the same time, before or after the carrier change I also see a 'Events dropped' event and it can be tens of events dropped or more than a thousand. Please see attached picture of what I mean from the Event log. The two errors seem to go hand in hand and are almost always associated with the loss of WAN connectivity. We are connected to an Xfinity modem that has already been swapped out. I've read that the carrier change error is generally associated with a physical cable issue but I'm still curious if the two errors combined would still lead people to draw that conclusion. I will go in over the weekend and change the physical cable but I thought I'd get the ball rolling in case that fails (not trying to waste anyone's time of course).

Thank you for your time!

1 Reply 1

jkieburtz
Level 1
Level 1

I thought experts were supposed to chime in on these posts!?!?!?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card