cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Limiting BFD Session (hub and spoke design)

Axel Robbe
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I want to limit the number of BFD sessions a router tries to form, because all branch routers are starting to show up as partial connectivity in the Dashboard after deployment, even though from a design point of view, everything is fine.

We're running a hub-spoke topology through a centralized policy and only allow the branches to connect to the hub routers. For this reason, the BFD sessions don't work.

Yet, they try to set them up and therefore report partial connectivity. Perhaps the better question would be, how do I prevent the distribution of all the known TLOCs to all other TLOCs?

Kind regards,

Axel

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Axel Robbe
Level 1
Level 1

I figured it out now: my centralized policy was missing a Hub-Spoke topology. The data policy portion of the centralized policy was already configured for hub-spoke, so the traffic could only go this way. However, without a clear hub-spoke topology definition within that same centralized policy, the vManage expects each router to build a bfd session to all other TLOCs.

The policy worked already as designed, but I was missing the topology aspect.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Axel Robbe
Level 1
Level 1

I figured it out now: my centralized policy was missing a Hub-Spoke topology. The data policy portion of the centralized policy was already configured for hub-spoke, so the traffic could only go this way. However, without a clear hub-spoke topology definition within that same centralized policy, the vManage expects each router to build a bfd session to all other TLOCs.

The policy worked already as designed, but I was missing the topology aspect.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco