cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Load balancing of traffic depending on the bandwidth of the channel

dijix1990
VIP
VIP

Can we make sdwan does load balancing of traffic depending on the bandwidth of the channel?

if we have two isp's I would like sending traffic depends on channel bandwidth

1 ISP 100 mbit channel

2 ISP 200 mbit channel

10 Replies 10

M02@rt37
VIP
VIP

Hello @dijix1990,

Yes, SD-WAN technology allows for intelligent and dynamic traffic management across multiple WAN links.

By leveraging SD-WAN controllers or orchestrators, you can configure policies and rules to monitor the bandwidth of each link and make dynamic routing decisions. The SD-WAN controller can continuously assess the available bandwidth of each ISP link and distribute the traffic accordingly, ensuring optimal utilization of the available resources.

Best regards
.ı|ı.ı|ı. If This Helps, Please Rate .ı|ı.ı|ı.

It's good. Can you share guide or example?

I think this feature can help, but not shure

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/sdwan/configuration/qos/ios-xe-17/qos-book-xe/m-adaptive-qos.html

Just need to balance traffic between two wan operators with different bandwith to prevent dropes because of exceeding channel

Hi,

for overlay traffic you can use weight attribute for TLOC. Weight can be between 1-255 and affects both inbound and outbound traffic:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/sdwan/configuration/System-Interface/systems-interfaces-book-xe-sdwan/configure-interfaces.html

for DIA, I believe that it is purely ECMP based (depending on ip cef load-sharing algorithm) and weight will not help.

Unfortunately, this type of internals are not documented in detail. If you have TAC support, open case as question.

HTH,
Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.

@dijix1990 you get answer from godfather of sd-wan in community @Kanan Huseynli 

So I agree I read now sd-wan and it support ecmp only.

Thanks 

MHM

Unfortunately, not for dia and a simple balance between channels, I mean a flexible balance between different channels with different widths

dijix1990
VIP
VIP

So, how can I understand that there is no special function for intelligent balancing, such as fortinet or vmware has, because the weight of @Kanan Huseynli's recommendation does not correspond to intelligent balancing, for example 1/3 or 2/1, or depending on the actual bandwidth of the channel, that is, sdwan does not determine that a 100 mbit wide channel can be sent more traffic than in a 50 mbit wide channel

I don't quite sure, at which level weight is intelligent, but you can use weight 1 for ISP1 (100Mbps), use weight 2 for ISP2 (200Mbps). Plus, better to use shaper additionally on these egress interfaces.

HTH,
Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.

Yes I tried it yesterday. It works when bandwith is stable, but if we start decrease bandwidth through shaper or policer we get drops, because edge sends traffic despite shaper. I want to try this https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/sdwan/configuration/qos/ios-xe-17/qos-book-xe/m-adaptive-qos.html. Thought that sdwan from cisco has simple policy for theese situations as sdwan from vmanage/fortinet, maybe it will be later 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card