Views
Helpful
Replies

Reset Viptela vEdge 100b without access to CLI

lbeck09
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone,

I hope I'm posting this in the right category. I bought this router off of ebay in hopes of adding it to my homelab. I powered it on and connected to it via console, and it begins to look like it's starting up. It gets to this point:

Mounting /dev/mmcblk0p3 at /rootfs.rw
Mounting aufs at /rootfs
Mounting pseudo filesystems...
Setting up hotplug...
Mounting filesystems...
Setting hostname...
Configuring kernel parameters...
Configuring network interfaces...
Verifying current time against timestamp...
Starting services...

and after that it just repeats this error message and won't respond to any commands.

Cannot parse config file: Invalid argument
BusyBox v1.22.1 (2017-03-14 13:06:59 PDT) multi-call binary.

Usage: getty [OPTIONS] BAUD_RATE[,BAUD_RATE]... TTY [TERMTYPE]

Does anybody know what could be causing this, and what I can do about it (if anything)? The reset button hasn't helped. At one point it gives the option to stop booting with ctrl+x, and when I do that I get a shell with commands that I think are part of the bootloader. One of the commands is "version," and the output is this:

Octeon cust_n818# version

U-Boot 2013.07.8430fc3 (Build time: May 26 2016 - 03:19:56)
mips64-octeon-linux-gnu-gcc (Cavium Inc. Version: SDK_3_1_0_p2 build 34) 4.7.0
GNU ld (Cavium Inc. Version: SDK_3_1_0_p2 build 34) 2.23.52
Octeon cust_n818#

Sorry if none of this is very helpful/descriptive. Has anyone encountered this sort of thing before? Is there a way I can get to this config file and fix whatever is wrong with it? I hope I can get this thing up and running somehow but if not I suppose I'm out $30, which is not exactly the end of the world.

2 Replies 2

guruvignesh
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Ibeck,

the router is encountering an issue while booting and is unable to parse a configuration file. Here are some steps you can try to troubleshoot the problem:

1. Check Configuration File:

• Try to locate the configuration file mentioned in the error ("Cannot parse config file"). Check its contents for any errors or issues.
  2. Reflash Firmware:

• Consider reflashing the router's firmware. Obtain the correct firmware for your router model and follow the manufacturer's instructions for flashing the firmware.
  3. Factory Reset:

• Perform a factory reset of the router. This will reset all configurations to default settings, which might resolve any configuration-related issues.
  4. Contact Support:

• If the issue persists, consider reaching out to the router's manufacturer or community support for further assistance.

Hey @lbeck09 i found this document HERE it states - 

Reset the Router You can reset the vEdge router by doing either a hard press or a soft press. To perform either type of press, locate the Reset button on the front panel of the router. The Reset button is recessed to avoid accidentally pressing it while the router is operational. To press the Reset button, use a sharp narrow tool.

Perform a Long Press Reset A long press reset of the vEdge router erases passwords, keys, and most other configuration parameters, restoring the router to its factory-default configuration. To perform a long press reset, press the Reset button for more than 10 seconds. After you release the Reset button, the router will reboot and resume normal operation.

Perform a Short Press Reset A short press reset of the Edge router is equivalent to a graceful software reboot and is the same as entering the reboot command at the CLI prompt. To perform a short press reset, press the Reset button for two seconds. The short press reset takes effect almost instantaneously and reboots the router.

I think these are based on openwrt https://openwrt.org/inbox/toh/cisco/vedge_1000 and wondered if this can be rest from the bootloader you were in? There is something here, if this works...

https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/troubleshooting/failsafe_and_factory_reset#factory_reset

Please mark this as helpful or solution accepted to help others
Connect with me https://bigevilbeard.github.io