Views
Helpful
Replies

Viptela Underlay Routing

biran
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All, 

Anyone can explain me how Data Plane IPsec tunnels form between edges using underlay multiple default routes?

I have confused how VEdge choose the correct transport default route to reach the VEdge it want to form the tunnel.

Best Regards,

Biran

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

ekhabaro
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
It's quite simple, roughly speaking, you can consider it uses route via particular color only to establish connectivity with remote vEdge. Imagine for simplicity that color = vrf in terms of IOS.

View solution in original post

Will Kerr
Level 1
Level 1

This is a good question.

Both underlay interfaces will be in VPN0.  While VPN0 does share a common routing table the interfaces will only use routes it learns on their local interface.  

Say you have gi 0 and gi 1 in VPN0.  You will never see gi 1 use a route learned on gi 0 , even if its a more specific route.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

ekhabaro
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
It's quite simple, roughly speaking, you can consider it uses route via particular color only to establish connectivity with remote vEdge. Imagine for simplicity that color = vrf in terms of IOS.

Oh , I think I understand now. Thanks.

Will Kerr
Level 1
Level 1

This is a good question.

Both underlay interfaces will be in VPN0.  While VPN0 does share a common routing table the interfaces will only use routes it learns on their local interface.  

Say you have gi 0 and gi 1 in VPN0.  You will never see gi 1 use a route learned on gi 0 , even if its a more specific route.

yeah , I think color make a segmentation for vpn 0 interfaces.

Thanks for your great discussion.

"Say you have gi 0 and gi 1 in VPN0. You will never see gi 1 use a route learned on gi 0 , even if its a more specific route."

If gi0 is outside and gi1 inside and both of them are in vpn 0, how is it possible to get a host on gi1 to access the outside network (over the underlay, without nat)?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: