Replies

vManage Shutdown Interface for Troubleshooting

41D5
Level 4
Level 4

Current environment:

ISR4331 running 17.02.02

vManage running 20.1.2  

We have two Internet connections in our ISR4331.  One Internet connection is experiencing 60% loss as reported in vManage. The packet loss is causing problems with the end users.  We would like to shutdown the interface temporarily until the Internet service can be fixed at which point we would enable the interface again.

Is there a quick way to shutdown the interface and leave it down?

The fastest way we found was to change it to CLI mode and shutdown the interface via the CLI.

The vManage "Reset an Interface" process described below doesn't really accomplish what we need.

###################

Reset an Interface
You can reset an interface on a device, issuing a shutdown command followed by a no shutdown command, in a single operation from the
vManage NMS, without having to modify the device's configuration.
To reset an interface:
1. In vManage NMS, select the Tools ► Operational Commands screen.
2. In the right pane, click the device.
3. Click the More Actions icon to the right of the row.
4. From the drop-down list of commands, select Interface Reset.
5. From the Interface Reset box, select the desired interface.
6. Click Reset.
CLI equivalent : request interface-reset

###################

Any ideas or have we missed something?

All helpful posts will be rated.  Post containing suggestions like "create a new interface template with the interface shutdown, copy the current device template, add the new shutdown interface to the new device template, assign the device to the new device template, push the new device template to the device" will not only receive a negative rating but a curse of "The Fleas from 1000 Camels" will be put upon the person posting.

3 Replies 3

Hi,

you say you want to "shutdown" interface, but you want to archive that using "reset" operation, my question how?)

Btw, your template method is normal way doing such configuration.

HTH,

HTH,
Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.

Phil Sterner
Level 1
Level 1

Have you considered creating a new interface template with the interface shutdown, copy the current device template, add the new shutdown interface to the new device template, assign the device to the new device template, push the new device template to the device?  Sorry, I couldn't resist...no fleas please.

However, this type of issue has plagued me as well and I would like to be able to do things quickly when there is an issue, not mess with templates just so I can do something as simple as a shut or no shut.  I equate this to something like opening or closing a door - with vmanage, I have to uninstall a closed door and install an open door, and that is just stupid. 

LOL brilliant analogy thus you are protected from the curse!

vManage be like:

funny-door-message-not-open.jpg