cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Entry point for 10G networking

billmatthews
Level 1
Level 1

We have an existing network running on 4507s (not 4500Es).  We have a need for a small network running 10G copper ethernet (for a NAS).  What would be our easiest entry point to get 10G?  We need 20 ports.

I don't think I can get 10G linecards for the 4500 chassis?  So I guess I need something standalone?

Thanks

5 Replies 5

Robert Burns
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Sounds like the job for a Nexus 5010 or 5548.  Each support 10G interfaces with one expansion module.

The 5010 is the first Gen Nexus 5000 series, which give you 20 fixed ports plus room for an expansion module which supports additional 10G or Fiber Channel ports.  The 5010 can support ports 1 through 8 as either 1G or 10G.

The 5548 is the 2nd Gen Nexus 5000 series, which give you 48 Unified ports (which all ports can operate as 1G/10G Ethernet, Fiber Channel or FCoE)

With the Nexus you can also utilize FEXs (Fabric Extenders) which are like remote linecards to expand capacity even further.

From the Nexus you would uplink into a 10G interface on whichever switches you have upstream that can support 10G interfaces.

Regards,

Robert

Thanks, the 5548 looks great. 

Does the 5548 have any SFPs that support 10GB Base T (RJ45)?

Also regarding the FEXs, can you send me a link to some documentation on those?  I really like the idea of using the Twinax cables, but the 10meter limit is a problem. So maybe I could put FEXs in other racks to give me further reach?

Here's a link to the supported cables & transceivers for the 5500.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus5000/hw/installation/guide/overview5500.html#wp1257426

The 10m twinax cables are great for up to three racks apart directly connecting devices to the 5500 (with cable management).  If you need to extend beyond this you just need to use the optical SFP+ transceivers.  Twinax is obvious the most cost effect cabling option for lengths under 10m.

You have the right Idea.  Many customers put their 5500 in the middle or end of row, and then extend the FEX reach outward as ToR (up to 10m), and then add another 10m (or less) run from each FEX to the their end devices.  This is usually enough distance to cover a standard cabinet row.

Regards,

Robert

Robert provided you great information, but please be aware that the 5548 switch is NOT copper. The interfaces are SFP or SFP+.

HTH

Or you can go with the Arista 7120-T. It has 20 1/10G Base T interfaces plus 4 SFP+.