Views
Helpful
Replies

Link Load balancing - Data center query

ayram23
Level 1
Level 1

Dear all,

I have a query on link load balancing. My scenario goes like this. The customer has taken web hosting services from two data centers. When an user who is accessing the servcies available in primary data center gets disconnected due to say link failure. Then the services should be available continuosly from the secondary data center. All the services provided by the primary data center should be available now from the secondary data center without any down time. What device i should go for, for doing this link load balancing. After searching a lot in the web, i found this Cisco Global site selector which does the link load balancing between data centers. I want to know whether i have ended up with the right choice? Plz give your valuable suggestions for the correct device i should use for load balancing multiple data center.

2 Replies 2

Not applicable

DC-Metalink termination code of 9 doesn't mean anything- its just for logging purposes.

Craig Norborg
Level 4
Level 4

That product can be quite good, I believe another company called F5 also makes good stuff in that arena... However, you have to remember that alot of this depends on what application you are doing on these servers. If you're running a service that only hosts static web pages, that's no problem. But, if you're going to be doing ecommerce where it needs to save the users "state" between page loads and such, that gets much more complex and you need to choose the right server software, such as Coldfusion or PHP or whatever to accomodate this too...

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card