Views
Helpful
Replies

nexus 5020 release 5.0.2N1

aviyoshi10
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

i had a working setup which include 2 X nexus 5020 (release 4.0.X). to each N5K i connect FEX 2232. my server connect via CNA nic with FCoE to the FEX .

the problem is that when i upgrade the N5K to 5.0.2N1, my all setup stop working.

what has changed that cause my setup to stop working ?

thanks,

Avi.

9 Replies 9

Robert Burns
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Avi,

Before we can guess at the possible cause you're going to need to give us more detail.  Also the 2232 FEX wasn't supported in NXOS 4.0.x - Please confirm the previous version you were running.

Can you detail "what stopped working" exactly?

(Did you hosts connected to the FEX stop passing traffic, did the N5K stop forwarding etc?)

Detail your topology including how you hosts are connected.

Regards,

Robert

Ok,

N5K NX-OS - 4.1.2

topology:

2 X n5K with vpc. 2 X fex 2232, each one connect to single N5K.

sever with Qlogic 8142 CNA connect to two fex 2232 - running eth vlan & FCoE vlan.

at release 4.1.2 the interface VFC at the N5K was up i was able to see the FLOGI from the server.

when i upgraded the N5K to release 5.0.2N1 i saw that the interface VFC went down and it were in err-disable situation - saying something about VSAN inconsistency.

I read more about release NX-OS 5.0.2N1. I saw that for model Nexus 5548 in this release, before enabling FCoE, QOS (PFC) should be configured. Earlier versions (of course relevant only to nexus 5020 & nexus 5010 QOS was applied automatically)

Is by any chance this is the case with nexus 5020 running 5.0.2 ??

If so, can you please provide a specific configuration example how to configure QOS for FCoE ?,

no, the requirement is only specific to 5548 switches. In the new 5.0.2.N1.1 code and later, you dont have to configure anything special for qos for FCoE on the 5010 or 5020 switches.

So if you have a Nexus 5548 and you enabled FCOE first what are the commands to correct the QoS?

assuming you have the below config already as default...

class-map type qos class-fcoe
class-map type queuing class-fcoe
match qos-group 1
class-map type queuing class-all-flood
match qos-group 2
class-map type queuing class-ip-multicast
match qos-group 2
class-map type network-qos class-fcoe
match qos-group 1
class-map type network-qos class-all-flood
match qos-group 2
class-map type network-qos class-ip-multicast
match qos-group 2

this is what we need to add....

system qos

service-policy type qos input fcoe-default-in-policy

service-policy type queuing input fcoe-default-in-policy

service-policy type queuing output fcoe-default-out-policy

service-policy type network-qos fcoe-default-nq-policy

Thank you Vinayak.

Do you know why it is different on the 5548s?

because 'class-fcoe' is not enabled by default on the N5548.

If you do a 'show run all' on a 5010/5020 vs on 5548 you will see that we have some default policies under 'system qos' under 5010/5020 and which are not enabled by default on the 5548. Thats where the difference is. Let me know if you have additional questions.