cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus and vswitch connection

Hi All

I have 2x Nexus 5548UP, 8x Nexus 2232TM-E  & 2x  Nexus  B22DELL 2k

What im trying to achieve is:

port-channel Fex acrooss 2 N5K parent switches and port channel esx host across to  pair of B22dell in chassis nexus switches, is this do' able ? or am i going down wrong track here ? All our blade server has 2x 10GigE network interface between the vswitch with port channel on vswitch set to IP hash algorithm .

Please view attached pic for visuals

Some please shed some light on this matter

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Steve Fuller
Level 9
Level 9

Hi,

This is a perfectly valid approach with standard straight-through FEX connectivity and port-channels to the host. This has been supported in NX-OS on the Nexus 5000 series switch since version 4.1(3)N1.

The one area to be careful with is the port-channels to the hosts. VMware ESX only supports the Link Aggregation Control Protocol (LACP) with the Nexus 1000v or from ESX 5.1, but then only when using the distributed virtual switch.

If you don't have LACP support in the vSwitch then you'll need to configure the port-channels on the FEX as static port-channels i.e., using the channel-group mode on command under the physical interfaces.

Regards

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Steve Fuller
Level 9
Level 9

Hi,

This is a perfectly valid approach with standard straight-through FEX connectivity and port-channels to the host. This has been supported in NX-OS on the Nexus 5000 series switch since version 4.1(3)N1.

The one area to be careful with is the port-channels to the hosts. VMware ESX only supports the Link Aggregation Control Protocol (LACP) with the Nexus 1000v or from ESX 5.1, but then only when using the distributed virtual switch.

If you don't have LACP support in the vSwitch then you'll need to configure the port-channels on the FEX as static port-channels i.e., using the channel-group mode on command under the physical interfaces.

Regards