Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus B22 FEX

robert.horrigan
Level 2
Level 2

Howdy Server Networking Experts,

Does the B22 support VIC like capabilities or would the ESX hosts only be able to see one (or two for full width) physical uplinks from the switch?

Rob

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

My bad, I think of the blade server when I hear B22.  I have no idea why they duplicated the name

The B22HP FEX simply extends the N5K fabric into an HP  c7000 chassis.  Each B22HP FEX provides 16 x 1G/10G host facing  connections, one per blade.

The # of adapters  presented to the host would depend on the HP adapter in the blade.  With  Cisco blades we have the VIC adapter which allows the creation of  multiple virtual interface for the host (which can range from 2 - 56+). 

Check with HP and the capabilities of their  adapters.  Virtual connect is the only adapter I beleive that kinda  comes close.  From memory you can divide a 10G interface into 4 logical  interfaces.  The one draw back is it's a hard division of the link - no  sharing spare bandwidth between the logical interfaces resulting in  often wasted bandwidth.

Robert

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Robert Burns
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Thanks for the response.  Sorry I did not ask that right.  I meant the B22 FEX for the HP C7000 Chassis.  If i install a B22 FEX in the HP chassis instead of their Flex switch solution would I be able to present multiple virtual physical interfaces to hte host as with the VIC or is that not supported?

My bad, I think of the blade server when I hear B22.  I have no idea why they duplicated the name

The B22HP FEX simply extends the N5K fabric into an HP  c7000 chassis.  Each B22HP FEX provides 16 x 1G/10G host facing  connections, one per blade.

The # of adapters  presented to the host would depend on the HP adapter in the blade.  With  Cisco blades we have the VIC adapter which allows the creation of  multiple virtual interface for the host (which can range from 2 - 56+). 

Check with HP and the capabilities of their  adapters.  Virtual connect is the only adapter I beleive that kinda  comes close.  From memory you can divide a 10G interface into 4 logical  interfaces.  The one draw back is it's a hard division of the link - no  sharing spare bandwidth between the logical interfaces resulting in  often wasted bandwidth.

Robert

Just what I needed.  Thanks a lot.