cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

universal standard for script to set up network

ShinehahGnolaum
Level 1
Level 1

Is there a universal standard that governs the format for scripts used to set up a network, so that a script used to set up a Cisco device can be used to set up a networking device from a different manufacturer?

3 Replies 3

Francesco Molino
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Hi

You can found some librairies which have embedded functions that can run over different vendors and return the same type of content. Napalm is one of them https://napalm.readthedocs.io/en/latest/support/index.html

However, not all commands works as integrated which means you will need to have a database for commands equivalence between vendor in your own script. Again, you will find some scripts built already on github and it will work probably for the biggest players but not for all comands.

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

I'm creating an iOS app to generate scripts to be used to set up networking devices. Where do I get the script language documentation? I could start with the script language for Cisco.

What kind of scripts and which language? If you're talking about Cisco IOS commands, go on Cisco website and Cisco press.

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question