cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2 RVS4000 connected via Tunnel can't browse workgroup

Frank Papa
Level 1
Level 1

I've got 2 RVS4000's connected via a VPN tunnel that is "up".  I'm running Windows XP Pro and Windows 2003 Server.  I've got my Windows firewalls adjusted properly.  However, I don't see other computers on the other subnet when browsing my workgroup.  Also, DNS doesn't seem to work unless each machine has its own hosts file.

What am I missing to get name resolution working across my two subnets?

6 Replies 6

davbarre
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Frank,

On your tunnel configuration for both routers, if you look down towards the bottom of the page you will see an Advanced button.  If you click this, you will see an option for NetBIOS broadcast.

Please verify if this is enabled.

Thanks!

Dave

David L. Barrett, Jr.

Yes, both routers have "NetBios Broadcast" checked.

- Thanks, Frank

Hi Frank,

Take a specific target PC on the other side of your VPN tunnel, can you ping it via IP address?

If so, can you then ping it via it's hostname?

For example, if your PC is named Cisco and it's IP address is 192.168.1.105, can you ping that IP address and get a reply, and can you ping Cisco and get a reply?

This will help us narrow it down if this is a NetBIOS issue.

Thanks!

Dave

David L. Barrett, Jr.

Yes, I can ping machines on either subnet, and once I set the Windows Firewalls correctly, I can connect to file shares.  However, I have to do so with the ip address.

- Thanks, Frank

Frank,

As a quick test, can you disable the firewall on the remote machine and see if it then shows up in the network neighborhood?  That way we can rule out firewall completely?  Then we can re-enable.

Thanks!

Dave

David L. Barrett, Jr.

Yes,  I did just try that.  Still, no luck.

- Thanks, Frank