cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Bandwidth Management slows internet Download

caseyjanke
Level 1
Level 1

I have many RV110W units out in the field. Some of them are at client sites who use VOIP. I turn on Bandwidth management at those locations. Recently our area has gotten faster internet and many clients have moved from 15/2 to 60/5 service. On all networks where I have bandwidth management checked the download speed is limited to about 38mb. Whoever if I turn off Bandwidth management I can get up to 70mb down.

I tested this on my own office RV110w and verified that with Bandwidth Management selected (even with no QOS settings enabled) I drop from about 65mb down to 38mb.

Is there a way to implement QOS without dropping the download speed from 60mb to 38mb?

Thank You,

Casey

5 Replies 5

caseyjanke
Level 1
Level 1

Ok this was a helpful post. Getting a bit tired of being companies testers. If the product doesn't work, don't sell it!

Just as an FYI. I decided to put the RV110W aside and configure the network with a DSR-500 router I had on hand. Ironically this did the same thing. As soon as I enabled bandwidth management it also dropped a speedtest down from about 60mb to 40mb. So, I guess this seems to happen on all routers at this point. 

SamirD
Level 5
Level 5

Have you tried experimenting with different versions of firmware?  Somewhere this must have worked correctly with a version of firmware and was broken at some point.  Or vice versa where it never worked and was fixed in a firmware.  That's the only thing I can suggest to try.  Good luck!

Huntsville's Premiere Car and Bike e-magazine: www.huntsvillecarscene.com

I am using the latest firmware version downloaded from the web site. I can't say if it every worked correctly. What I can say is that when the client was on a 15/2 connection, bandwidth didn't seem to be limited by implementing bandwidth management. However now that they are on 60/5, it is bringing the 60 down to 38. So maybe implementing bandwidth management uses more processor and it can't keep up, therefor bandwidth drops. Or??

I'm probably going to have to move away from this router though as it appears I cannot turn off SIP on an RV110W, even with the latest firmware.

Forget the latest.  Think of each firmware as a 'feature set'.  You need to find the 'feature set' you need that works.  Core functionality had to work in a feature set at some point--but you have to find it.

If there was an option to turn off SIP in the manual somewhere, I bet it's also in a feature set too.  It might be a pain to find it, but it can beat having to work with another piece of hardware with other bugs that you'll have to inevitably get around (all smb routers have bugs like this--ALL OF THEM).

Huntsville's Premiere Car and Bike e-magazine: www.huntsvillecarscene.com