Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco RV042 Router automatically Restart every 1 minutes

Maria Joseph R
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Sir,

Cisco RV042 Small Business router is automatically Restart every 1 minutes. Kindly give the solution to rectify the problem

Regards,

Maria Joseph. R

75 Replies 75

I have tried it isolated, without WAN connected and the reboot persists. I'm not sure it's an external attack problem, as the link mentions.

Like you, I fired up the router without anything connected to the WAN or LAN ports and it still reboots every minute and a half. I originally thought it might be some attack from the WAN side but now I'm thinking there's been a malicious firmware upgrade. I tried to do a reset but now it's not booting at all (Diag LED flashes and no DHCP). If indeed it is malicious firmware, it also snags the reset to brick the router. Mean.

GKToronto
Level 1
Level 1

According to:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/routers/small-business-rv-series-routers/eos-eol-notice-c51-743070.html

The end-of-life announcement of this product says there are no software updates after January 29, 2021. It'll be interesting to see if Cisco fixes any bugs....

The same issue is in play for the RV340 and RV345, which have end-of-life on October 28, 2022 for software/security updates:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/routers/small-business-rv-series-routers/small-business-rv340-rv345-series-eol.html

That's 2 days from now! I've been hoping to see that extended (there are other threads on this topic), but so far nada....

fraufrancesco
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, we have the same problem with 8 RV042G. We tried to reset and update with the new firmware, but the problem remains. We also tried to use the previous firmware but the problem persist. I hope a solution will be found in a short time.

DanielBernal
Level 1
Level 1

Any update?

VENKATREDDY
Level 1
Level 1

Even after doing cisco rescue firmware update utlity also same issue.But in diagnosis mode ip address continues pinging.

Please provide solutions for it.Cisco team we need intervention on this on priority basis.

SergioA
Level 1
Level 1

I haven't found a solution yet. Start replacing them with other VPN routers from another brand.
I Lost the trust to Cisco.

Hello, Thanks i will wait response, I have 40 RV042 and do a reemplace
no is an option for me.

you replace it with which brand?

vaxxinecsinc
Level 1
Level 1

Having an identical issue.  Several of our customers with RV042 have their units rebooting themselves repeatedly every minute or so.  This appears to be a widespread issue.

Hello, we have the same problem with (2) RV042G. & (3) RV082 We tried to reset and update the new firmware, but the problem persists. We also tried to use the previous software but the problem persists.

On the RV345 I have a problem with the stability of the connection and loses communication every 30 seconds.

Hello, we have the same problem with (2) RV042G. & (3) RV082 We tried to reset and update the new firmware, but the problem persists. We also tried to use the previous software but the problem persists.

On the RV345 I have a problem with the stability of the connection and loses communication every 30 seconds.

Martin Aleksandrov
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

@manueldobarro 

@afbruno79 

@SergioA 

@mbleamer1 

@DawidKiedio9227 

Please note this is currently a major issue with the RV042. There have been multiple customers and businesses affected and the issue has been elevated to Cisco Small Business Support next level escalation team. Once we have any solution and/or workaround will let all know.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Please provide update on solution to fix this issue.

We have around 40, mainly to some customers and already 7 failed. Because no.answer yet from Cisco support we started replacing them with other brands. Still waiting for support answer.

Any solution we have 15 devices affected.