cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Configuring a c881-k9 - basics

rdk_cisco1
Level 1
Level 1

Folks.....I'm a real beginner at this and using a Command Line Interface has not made in inexperience any easier!

Basically I would like to get this unit a Cisco c881-k9 (and NOT Cisco 881-k9) configured for LAN access from my laptop and also PUTTY access from the WAN (FastEthernet4) interface and from a LAN port.

At this point I seem to have FastEthernet4 configured as I can ping it from our test LAN. 

I have created a VLAN2 which is associated with FastEthernet0.  When I connect to FastEthernet0 it assigns an IP address from the DHCP pool.  Eventually I want separate DHCP pools for each VLAN, but for now this is working.  As far as I can tell, my pool is not associated with any particular VLAN. 

Vlan1 seems to be special and I was not able to do any configuring with it.

I  have access for configuring using the CLI via the serial port cable to my laptop.  This is not very convenient, so access via the Vlan2 or the WAN port is desired.

Attached is my current configuration, much of which was the default when I booted up the c881.

This router will eventually be connected to the Internet via an IP address supplied by our ISP, so any additional modifications/suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.....RDK

17 Replies 17

OK, I'll be going into the office in about an hour. I will try your suggestions at that time. Right now I'm Remote Desktop connected to one of our servers and then PUTTY to the C881. I would prefer to be local to the c881 to try your suggestions. Thanks again...RDK

…..2620 Router gremlins ;-(

Changed port numbers and now it all works.  Grrr

Sorry to have wasted your time, but your comments about "IP Route 0.0.0.0 …" were instrumental in getting this working.  

Thanks again and I hope there are no more issues for a while.....RDK

Thanks for the update and votes. Glad to hear everything is working.