Views
Helpful
Replies

Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router WRT54G Wi-Fi Protected Setup Button

Raccoon1976
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am using a Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router(Model WRT54G).

I am trying to set up a desktop computer to have a wireless usb adapter running so I can connect to the Wireless-G Broadband Router.

When I run the setup CD for the wireless usb adapter it asks me to push the Wi-Fi Protected Setup Button on the Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router.

I have looked at the Linksys router found an obscure button on the front with the Cisco Systems Copyright logo on it.  I pushed this but the wireless usb adapter failed to locate the wireless network.  There is also another button on the back of the Linksys Router that is a Reset button.

Can you please tell me which button is the Wi-Fi Protected Setup Button that I should be pushing!?

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Jay Shepherd

1 Reply 1

blwright
Level 1
Level 1

Jay,

Wi-Fi Protected Setup or WPS is a somewhat new feature on most routers. However, I believe that the WRT54g was release prior to this feature. The installation disc for your wireless adapter is trying to circumvent network discovery and the process of entering a wireless password by using the WPS feature. Without using the installation disc to setup the adapter should still be able to connect to your Wi-FI network. Only use the disc to install the drivers for your wireless card and the wireless access utility. After you have done this:

1.Open the wireless utility and you should see available networks

2.Select your Wi-Fi network

3.If the network is open (not password proctected) you should be connected immediately

4.If the network is secured (password protected) then you will prompted to enter your password or preshared key

5.After entering the key you should be granted access to the network

Hope this helps

Blake Wright

Cisco SBSC Network Engineer