cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Problem assigning public IP to rv042 router

soportemosi
Level 1
Level 1

I just purchased two linksys/cisco rv042 routers, so i could create a VPN tunnel between my office and my home, at my office i have a static public ip address, so there the rv042 works fine. But at home i have DSL and my provider uses a speedtouch 585 modem/router, so in order to set up a VPN channel between my office and home i needed to give a public ip address to my home rv042 so i can use dydns.com to create the channel. I logged into my speedtouch 585, went to the "assign connection public ip adress to a device" option and assigned the public ip to my rv042 router. I also set my rv042 to get an automatically assigned ip adres on the wan1, i went to check the system summary tab and indeed the speedtouch has assigned the public ip address to my rv042 wan1 port but the problem is i lost all internet acces. And that is my question, what do i need to do to get this working or why do i loose all internet acces, i cant even ping or do a DNS Name Lookup in the diagnostic tab, i know the speed touch does the work of assigning public ip adress to devices well, because i tried it direcly on my laptop and worked just fine (assigned public ip adress and internet worked correcly).

Thank you in advance for your help.

1 Reply 1

Eric Moyers
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Mr Rosal,

My name is Eric Moyers. I am a Network Support Engineer in the Cisco Small Business Support Center.

Thank you for inquiring about your issue. Most ISP that supply DSL connections use  a connection type called PPPoE Point-to-Point Protocol over Ethernet. That is probably what you are encountering here. What you need to do is:

Step 1:
Access the router's web-based setup page using Web browser.

Step 2:
When the router's web-based setup page appears, Change Internet Connection Type, from Automatic Configuration - DHCP to PPPoE with the drop-down arrow.

Step 3:
Enter the username and password that your ISP provided you in the User name and Password fields, including the domain in the username if necessary such as yourusername@isp.net.

Step 4:

Click Save Settings.

Step 5:
Check System Summary, look for WAN IP and check if it shows an IP address If it does, you should be able to access the Internet.

If WAN IP is 0.0.0.0 or you still can not connect to the internet,  Please call our Small Business Support Center and let one of our answer engineers open a case and help you with this issue. The number to call is 1-866-606-1866

Eric Moyers
Cisco Support Network Engineer
1-866-606-1866