Views
Helpful
Replies

QuickVPN SSL connection issue to RV042 only through specific ISP

ggprod1976
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I've noticed a frequent problem using QuickVPN to connect through a RV042.  With a specific ISP (Rogers cable internet in Canada) occasionally from a particular location QuickVPN will stop being able to connect into my work VPN (though a RV042), although it had been connecting fine before (and can often connect through the same ISP at a different location).  Although the RV042 is contactable and a TCP connection is formed, the SSL connection fails and the problem persists indefinitely.  If I connect the same computer (a Windows Vista laptop) to a different ISP I am able to connect fine.  Rebooting the cable modem/router do not solve the problem.  I once saw a similar problem occuring with a different ISP (Bell DSP internet in Canada), but in that case rebooting the DSL modem/router solved the problem.

I suspect the edge-router in the ISP encounters some problem pertaining to SSL connection routing.

Has anyone experienced this issue or knows a resolution?

thanks,
Mark

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

The only configuration for PPTP is to enable the feature, specify the subnet the router assigns to the connecting user then make a PPTP user. It's about as fast as QVPN and uses the built-in MS client.

-Tom
Please rate helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Tom Watts
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Mark, it may be possible, that specific ISP modem/router box has the same IP subnet on the LAN as the RV042 you're trying to connect to.

Does the QVPN log reveal any details?

-Tom

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the response.  The subnets involved (the local LAN subnet and the subnet of the RV042) are different.  The QuickVPN log says SSL connection failure.  When I do a network capture of the failed quickvpn connection I see that a TCP connection is opened between my laptop and the RV042 and the QuickVPN application sends SSL client hello packets to the RV042 but do not receive the necessary SSL ack-response packets in return (the client hello is repeated a few times without response and then the connection is reported as failed)

Mark

It is possible the return packets are not making it back to your computer. I have seen in some isolated instances where there is not enough bandwidth (upload) for the connection to the point it times out. I have also seen in some very rare occasions the outbound router drops/blocks the ESP packets coming back.

The interesting note is, if you use PPTP there is likely no problems as it is a lighter tunnel with less requirements.

-Tom

hi Tom, is there a way to use PPTP with the RV042?  Would that require re-configuring the RV042 in a way such that all users had to start using PPTP?  Are there any other configuration changes or other clients that I could try to solve the problem (when trying to connect through the ISP that gives problems) that wouldn't require re-configuring the RV042 in way such that all other users had to change their access method?

thanks,
Mark

The only configuration for PPTP is to enable the feature, specify the subnet the router assigns to the connecting user then make a PPTP user. It's about as fast as QVPN and uses the built-in MS client.

-Tom

Thanks Tom, I'll give that a try and see if it solves my issue with connection through the problem ISP

Switching to using PPTP solved my problem.  Thanks Tom!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: