cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV180W Set-up Wizard

Kenneth Bertram
Level 1
Level 1

The wizard keeps giving me an error msg that it can't detect the internet. I seem to be able to configure this router manually. My ISP is comcast and the router is behind an Arris TM722G eMTA. The Arris manual indicates that I should use a crossover cable to connect to the Router. Is this required? I am using a patch cable and as I say I can manually configure the router. I tried the Small Business phone support but quite frankly I could not understand the people. I have a lot of other questions regarding this router but I would like to get this problem resolved first. Thanks for any assistance.

Ken                

10 Replies 10

Eric Moyers
Level 7
Level 7

Hi, My name is Eric Moyers. I am a Network Support Engineer in the Cisco Small Business Support Center. Thank you for using the Cisco Community Post Forums.

What time are you calling into the Small Business Support Center? Our Center is located in South Carolina and except for some hours, (1am to 8am) Eastern all support is through here for this device.

Are you calling 1-866-606-1866?

Thanks

Eric Moyers

Cisco Network Advanced Support Engineer

SBSC Wireless and Surveillance SME

CCNA, CCNA-Wireless

1-866-606-1866

Hi Kenneth, the Arris TM722G eMTA is a modem/router product. I have seen this once before about 3 weeks ago. The setup Wizard may fail if it detects a double-nat or receiving a private IP on the WAN connection. That is not always the case. Another possible reason for the failure is because of the double-nat subnet corresponds to the RV180 subnet. If the WAN detects 192.168.1.x and the RV180 is 192.168.1.1 you'd have to change the RV180 to 192.168.2.x before the configuration process or change your modem.

The router's WAN doesn't have a preference for straight or crossover. But, if your modem requests a specific cable, it is best to abide.

As Eric said above, the primary support does reside in South Carolina, US. You may post your questions here and we can try to field them the best as possible. However, any lengthy conversations are better served over the telephone. Please call the support center again, if it is not to your satisfaction, let us know, we will arrange a call back that better serve your needs.

-Tom
Please rate helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

Tom-Were you able to resolve the case you saw about 3 weeks ago? I will get a crossover cable and give it a try. Based on what you wrote in your first paragraph and also on the fact that I am a relative neophyte to the networking game, what would be your next move assuming the crossover cable doesn't resolve the issue?

Ken

Kenneth, if the crossover cable fails, connect a computer directly to this modem, do an ipconfig or ifconfig (whatever OS you're using) and find out what the modem is issuing directly to your computer. If you're incapable of receiving any kind of DHCP from the device, the modem may not be responding when the wizard sends a test to verify the connectivity or possibly an ARP issue. If you have an ARP issue, try to clear the ARP on the modem or connect an unmanage switch between the router and modem and see if that helps things along.

Obviously you mentioned manually configuring the unit resolves the problem. So it would be interesting to know what did you manually input and what does your modem provide when you try to receive dynamic.

-Tom

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

Eric-The number you listed is the number I called. I called the first time @ 1021 EDT and then at about 1025 EDT. My first call was answered by a female and the second by a male. I am guessing that they were both from India. Two or 3 weks ago I had the same problem and decided to call Cailfornia. After some number switching, I managed to talk to a local engineer and I was assigned a case# of 622779015.He wasn't able to solve the problem so I decided to just let it go since I was able to configure the router manually. I've since decided that I would like the router to operate as ordered or find out why it doesn't. Thank you.

Ken

Update of my problem for those of you who are helping me. Beleive it or not I was not able to locate a crossover cable in my town. Best Buy and Walmart don't stock them. I tried a mom and pop computer store and struck out there. I know I could probably get one online but I sort of gave up on that approach. I had Comcast come in but since the output of the eMTA was functional that was it for them. I did do what Tom suggested as far as connecting a computer to the output of the eMTA and running ipconfig/all. As I said previously,I am not an expert on networking but everything looked normal to me. In the past, when I ran the setup wizard, I would stop when I received the error messages. I then decided to continue with the setup to see where it took me. There are 2 times in the wizard where it checks for internet related items. Once is about 2 ot 3 steps into the setup where it checks for the internet gateway and can't find it and the other is after configuring the router where it checks for the presence of the internet. It can't find that either.I can, however, complere the setup of the router and then go on to use my network as if there were no errors. I get random errors from different parts of the configuration process. For example, when I set up the MAC filtering in the firewall section and I hit the SAVE button, sometimes it just sits there and never does a thing. The horizontal green candy cane is telling you to wait and nothing happens. I found that if I refresh the page, I can click on SAVE and it saves the inputs. This has happened at random in different sections of the config process. I hope that I've cleared up a little of my issue. As before, any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Ken

Kennth, what ipv4 address, subnet mask and default gateway did you receive while connecting to the EMTA unit?

-Tom

Tom

IP address          174.58.90.220

Subnet Mask       255.255.248.0

Default gateway   174.58.88.1

Ken

Hi Ken,

It is possible there is a browser conflict with how it handles the Java. If you're running IE 9, try to run a compatibility mode. Also ensure you're on the latest Java release. Any thought, try to use Mozilla Firefox, it has a tendancy to handle HTTPS and Java pages much better than IE. This is also true for MAC platforms, give Firefox a try. May also want to try a 32 bit browser and see if there's a difference.

I don't see a reason why it wouldn't work. I grabbed a RV180 from the closet and tested on Window XP and Window 7 and I didn't have any issues on a straight T1.

-Tom

Tom

I tried your suggestions. No joy until I downloaded the latest version of Firefox. Everything came together and the router operates as specified. I will still be looking forward to a fix when using IE9. Thanks to you and the other guys who offered their assisstance for a solution to my problem.

Ken