cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Telstra SRP527W - Can it run the -U firmware?

Tim Harman
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I've bought a SRP527W.  Looking at the info for it, it's a SRP527W-K9-G4-TLS

This is the "Telstra" model with 128Mb DRAM and 64 Mb Flash.

Does anyone know if it can run the -U firmware?  That is the 1.2.x firmware for these SRPs?

Would be glad if it can, but I don't want to flash it to it in case it breaks.  It has the upgraded hardware, but not the "U" in the hardware name.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

David Harper
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The -TLS routers are capable of having the 1.2 firmware loaded on them.  However, doing this will almost certainly impact any support agreement you have in place with Telstra, as they have not to my knowledge deployed the 1.2 firmware in their managed networks.

Also, the upgrade from 1.1 to 1.2 is not seamless as it was not intended to be applied in the field.  If you do this, you will need to factory default the router both before and after the  update.

Cheers,

Dave.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

David Harper
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The -TLS routers are capable of having the 1.2 firmware loaded on them.  However, doing this will almost certainly impact any support agreement you have in place with Telstra, as they have not to my knowledge deployed the 1.2 firmware in their managed networks.

Also, the upgrade from 1.1 to 1.2 is not seamless as it was not intended to be applied in the field.  If you do this, you will need to factory default the router both before and after the  update.

Cheers,

Dave.

Thanks David, I thought that might be the case.

No worries with support from Telstra, this was a 2nd hand purchase being used as a home ADSL/VoIP device.

Last question if you wouldn't mind - if I do put the 1.2.x firmware on it but don't like it etc, downgrading is possible?  Assuming I do the factory reset as you mentioned again?

Kind Regards,

Tim

Yes, it does work.  Bear in mind that because this process wasn't intended to be done in the field, neither the upgrade nor the downgrade were extensively tested.  However, my personal experience has been that it works, and I've done a few boxes in each direction.  The factory resets are definitely necessary though.

Cheers,

Dave.

Just in case anyone else is reading this, I can confirm this does work!

My only issue is that the web interface is now rather slow when accessed remotely, but otherwise it's working great.    

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: