Views
Helpful
Replies

WRVS4400N PPPoE issues

vl.angelov
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Few days ago i bought WRVS4400N and i tried to connect it to my ISP which is working only on PPPoE connection. Unfortunately we wasn't able to make it work. Please see below the log of the router when i try to connect via PPPoE:

Plugin pppoe loaded.
PPPoE Plugin Initialized
Plugin pppoe called.
pppd 2.4.1 started by root, uid 0
Sending PADI
HOST_UNIQ successful match
Unexpected packet: Ether addr: 00:16:76:c8:08:fc (PPPOE Discovery) PPPoE hdr: ver=0x1 type=0x1 code=0x07 sid=0x0000 length=0x0030 (PADO) PPPoE tag: type=0102 length=0008 (AC Name) data (UTF-8): raspppoe PPPoE tag: type=0101 length=0000 (Service name) P
Unexpected packet: Ether addr: 00:16:76:c8:08:fc (PPPOE Discovery) PPPoE hdr: ver=0x1 type=0x1 code=0x07 sid=0x0000 length=0x002e (PADO) PPPoE tag: type=0102 length=0006 (AC Name) data (UTF-8): r1-bor PPPoE tag: type=0101 length=0000 (Service name) PPP
Unexpected packet: Ether addr: 00:16:76:c8:09:8e (PPPOE Discovery) PPPoE hdr: ver=0x1 type=0x1 code=0x07 sid=0x0000 length=0x002e (PADO) PPPoE tag: type=0102 length=0006 (AC Name) data (UTF-8): r5-bor PPPoE tag: type=0101 length=0000 (Service name) PPP
Unexpected packet: Ether addr: 00:16:76:c8:09:8e (PPPOE Discovery) PPPoE hdr: ver=0x1 type=0x1 code=0x07 sid=0x0000 length=0x0030 (PADO) PPPoE tag: type=0102 length=0008 (AC Name) data (UTF-8): raspppoe PPPoE tag: type=0101 length=0000 (Service name) P
Unexpected packet: Ether addr: 00:16:76:c7:f4:a2 (PPPOE Discovery) PPPoE hdr: ver=0x1 type=0x1 code=0x07 sid=0x0000 length=0x0030 (PADO) PPPoE tag: type=0102 length=0008 (AC Name) data (UTF-8): raspppoe PPPoE tag: type=0101 length=0000 (Service name) P
Connecting PPPoE socket: 00:00:00:00:00:00 0000 0x427d8
Couldn't get channel number: Transport endpoint is not connected
Doing disconnect
Exit.

Please let me know if you need additional info. Your help is really appriciated!! Thank you!!!

60 Replies 60

I think i didn't explain it well that's why i will try to do it. I am getting this ip address from the workstation and from the router only when they are set on DHCP. Basically the workstation LAN configuration is always set to dhcp and even getting this IP address i am able to connect to my ISP via PPPOE connection. When the WAN of the router is set on DHCP it is getting an IP address just like the workstation but when its on PPPOE configuration its not getting any IP address

vl.angelov wrote:

I think i didn't explain it well that's why i will try to do it. I am getting this ip address from the workstation and from the router only when they are set on DHCP. Basically the workstation LAN configuration is always set to dhcp and even getting this IP address i am able to connect to my ISP via PPPOE connection. When the WAN of the router is set on DHCP it is getting an IP address just like the workstation but when its on PPPOE configuration its not getting any IP address

You are correct, when you set the router to PPPoE you will not get an IP address just via DHCP. Believe it or not, you have another router/modem on the other side of the wall connection. You will be able to find this out yourself, just by logging into the GateWay IP address; just as if you were connecting to the WRVS.

There is no need to set your router to PPPoE if this is the case, because the device that is giving you the private IP is already taking care of the authentication. Just connect and anjoy.

Hope this helps.

Unfortunatelly this is not the case. I already tried to use this connection from my computer, indeed it is giving all the configuration but there is no internet connection. And my point is not to connect to an unknow device that is sitting in the same LAN and not fiber :)  I need to set up my PPPOE connection with my ISP

It does not look as though we have made any progress on understanding or even fixing the issue you have. Please consult this web page:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/support/tsd_cisco_small_business_support_center_contacts.html

and find a SBSC contact center near you. Then give them a call and see if they can help you out.

Bill

Hello,

After contacting our local supplier and support it seems that the problem is comming that my ISP have more then 2 pppoe servers (backup) in the same LAN and when my router is trying to connect to the right one is getting confused or something. If you take a look in the error message you can see 3 or more different pppoe servers. The ISP claims that this might be the problem. Please advize. Thank you!

Another small update. I contacted Cisco support from the website and after explaining the problem in details they told me that i should change my ISP because they don't have any expectations about any new firmware that could include a fix of this problem. I am really confused now because when i was buying this device i was thinking that it should be able to connect properly to PPPOE server even if there are multiple servers in the same environment. Any advize will be highly appriciated. Thank you!

Hi, I have the same problems with my router wrvs4400n. My router works some times, but after one week or 3 - 4 days, wrvs4400n loses connection to ISP. If i reboot my router, the connection pppoe to ISP remain DOWN. Reset again, again and again and remain down. If i set WAN-> Internet connection type -> Automatic  Configuration - DHCP, my router reboot (from ISP side i don't receive any IP ) and again WAN-> internet connection type > PPPOE (with all correct username/password and Keep Alive option set - default 30 sec) --- router reboot and --> ISP WORKS. The tehnical person from my ISP (RDS - Romania) told me, that problems it's problems with my router. I have an oldest linksys router wrt54GL and he works well, verry well :( with the same account and ISP line.

Thanks,

Claudiu

Hello,

I believe it is time for Cisco to take a look at this problem as it is not only me who encouter it. I am pretty much sure that they will be able to release a new firwmare with fix for this problem. At least i hope it will be done soon as i can't use my router at all.

Can we get any reply from Cisco Support? Thanks!

Nop! and my router sleeping. I can not change my ISP

and for my problems person from tehnical depatament for my ISP colsed my ticket number.   And now I use oldest linksys router wrt54gl :( and he works, but WRVS4400N not. I think, my ISP used linux solution for pppoe, and they put an update in 1 Feb 2010, for all servers in networks. Many of my friends that have the same ISP, receive reject connection for ISP in this date, but we discussed with the helpdesk departament and acount was debloked, but i still have problems with my Router WRVS4400N-E V02.

Best Regards,

Claudiu

Hi guys,

I had a look at that log in a previous posting, cannot even see the router getting to LCP negotiation and trying to send  ppp config requests. It seems to still be re-trying to setup the connection to the PPPoE access concentrator to your ISPs.

Interesting  when you say the WRT54Gl product can get to the PPPoE network but not the WRVS4400N.  Your service provider must be right, there is a problem with the WRVS4400N connecting to the PPPoE access concentrator.

I'm sure that when you call the Small Business Support Center for help, they would welcome a wireshark capture.

1. Can you get one from the provider or mirror the WAN port and grab a capture or

2.  pull out an old hub from your toolkit and capture the traffic from the router to the SP.

3.  Again the log could be informative

4.  Screen capture of the WAN setup

By the way, I had zero problems connecting a WRVS4400N  router a couple of days ago to a PPPoE network, there must be some peculiarity with your SP or our interaction with that Service provider  PPPoE access concentrator.  It's interesting that you mention that it may be a linux driven access concentrator.

I have copied the SBSC contact information URL for your reference, see the link below.  Please make the effort, especially if you have recently purchased your WRVS4400N to open a call with the Small Business Support Center.  There sure sounds like there is a problem, maybe even be  ISP related, but that has to be looked at and resolved.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/support/tsd_cisco_small_business_support_center_contacts.html

Regards Dave

Hello Dave,

I would like to thank you for your kind reply. I would like to let you know that i already contacted Small Business Support Center but at the end of my conversation the personel from the support told me that the best solution for me will be to change ISP. I am not quite sure that this will be the best solution in my case as i bought my router few months ago and i would like to be able to use it with my current provider. I will try to get Wireshark capture in order to help solving this issue. I will let you know once i am done. Thank you!

Hi,

I made a wireshark paket capture from my computer. (My computer was directly connected to ISP).

Have a nice day!

Claudiu

The last thing on this trace is successful negotiation of IP via the PPP client, so i can see that PPPoE negotation succeeds.  the only issue i see is i guess your PC is running IPv6 and the Service provider , will reject your requests to negotiate IPv6.. that's fair enough.  Otherwise they have called their PPPoE access concentrator "ftth"  and it seems to be ok

Hey David,

Thanks for your message. With regards to my problem with the PPPOE i am currently using IPV4 and if i am directly connected to my ISP without the router i dont have any problems. The problem seems to be related to the router. Is there any chance that Cisco will release a new firwmare that could fix this issue? Thanks!