Views
Helpful
Replies

Switchports losing settings and extraneous configurations occur

lokibjensen
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there,

I'm having problems with one of my many SG-300-28P's out in the field.  It looks almost as if Smartport roles are superceding any manual configurations among other issues.  I've attached a "sh run" of my config.  Everything in BLACK is what I manually configured from scratch.  Anything in RED automatically appears.  Even though I have disabled spanning tree globally it keeps adding other spanning tree settings below it.  Some ports, like port 17, keep getting security limitations added on to it even though I've disabled all.  It is the same type of device that is on many other ports yet it keeps changing on its own for some reason.  There are MANY other entries there which you'll see in the attachment that I never wrote.  I'm running firmware 1.1.0.73 which is the same on all of my other switches but I'm only having issues on this one.  Please look at the attachment and see all of the extra stuff being thrown in there and let me know if there's a fix.  This is a major problem as the config keeps changing on me.  I called support and the gentleman that answered seemed to want to get me off of the phone as soon as possible and promised he'd send an email to me to send my config.  He never did.  Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I can not be certain that the smart port is to blame in this case, but the settings that continue to reappear do match. If you would like to disable it, the settings can be found under Smartport > Properties.

I am sorry for any bad experience you have had when calling in. Please give us another opportunity to troubleshoot this issue. We can be reach at 866-606-1866 or any of the international number in the link below.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/support/tsd_cisco_small_business_support_center_contacts.html

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

rocater
Level 3
Level 3

Hello lokibjense,

I have looked over the configuration file you provided and see where the added settings are appearing. I compared them to the settings that are assigned with the smartport macros and they do match up.

I have a feeling that each time the port is updated via one of the discovery protocols, that it is also running the macro it determines it should run. This would add the settings back. From looking over the switch settings, it appears you can create your own macros and use them with the port settings which would allow you to customize the smartports to meet your needs.

That doesn't really make sense.  For instance I have the same devices on ports 17-21 yet port 17 constantly changes from being able to access vlan's 1-5 to only 1 and 6.  Also, port 18 will completely lose it's config and revert to default no matter how many times I configure it correctly.  If for some reason it IS some kind of "auto configure" via smartports (even if it's not consistent) then how do I turn it off???  This is becoming a serious problem and considering calling Cisco didn't help at all and I was pretty much ignored and lied to, I need some more information on how to fix this in a timely manner.  This doesn't happen on the many dozens of other switches I have out in the field.  Thank you for your response.

P.S. if it's just "adding the settings back" then why do I have one line stating:

no spanning-tree (a global command)

and then two other lines explaining specific spanning tree settings.  Also, if I try and turn off specific security settings they keep coming back.  This is NOT normal and I need some real troubleshooting as soon as possible.  Thanks.

I can not be certain that the smart port is to blame in this case, but the settings that continue to reappear do match. If you would like to disable it, the settings can be found under Smartport > Properties.

I am sorry for any bad experience you have had when calling in. Please give us another opportunity to troubleshoot this issue. We can be reach at 866-606-1866 or any of the international number in the link below.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/support/tsd_cisco_small_business_support_center_contacts.html

rkm
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Lokibjensen,

Did u get solution for this problem. Me too having the similar issues with SF300-24P.

Thanks & regds

Raghu

Hi there rkm.  Robert Cater above was correct in that it was the smartport settings.  I never turn smartport on as I usually only configure via the command line.  However, somehow I must have, or somebody else must have enabled smartport roles on the switch.  To disable it I had to enable the http server again to access the GUI, then disable smartports in the menu tree for that feature.

Once I did that the problem went away completely.  I hope this helps.

Hi,

Thanks a lot for quick reply. But in my case smartport is very much needed since we are using these switches for ip phones as well. BE3K is our IPPBX & 3905 are the IP phones are used in the network. If I don't enable smartports & phones doesnot get registered even if I make manual voice vlan.

Thanks & regds

Raghu

I believe you should be able to enable or disable smartports per port.  This way you can just enable it for the ports that have phones and maybe, if necessary, your trunk ports between switches.  Also, I'm sure you must be able to configure and register the phones without using smartports.  If it's a new system why not call into Cisco support and see if they can help you with that?

Good luck!