cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Repeater for WRVS4400N

Michael986
Level 1
Level 1

Hoperfully someone can clarify my confusion as to whether the WRVS4400N can utilise a repeater to increase it's range.

This thread https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2065036 suggests that it is not possible, but early on it states that there is no 'Allow wireless signal to be repeated by a repeater' option on the 4400, only on the 4100.

However, my 4400 DOES have this option (under Wireless | WDS). Is this something that maybe has been added with more recent firmware? Will this option actually work on the 4400? And if so, what repeater would be recommended?

Thanks

Mike

4 Replies 4

Michael986
Level 1
Level 1

Is anyone able to offer some advice regarding this?

Thanks

Mike

mpyhala
Level 7
Level 7

Mike,

The only repeater that I am aware of that works with the WRVS4400N is the WAP4410N. They have the same radio and are designed to work together. The WAP4410N can also repeat another WAP4410N. Make sure that you have the latest firmware on both devices, there were some issues in the past.

- Marty

Hi, My name is Eric Moyers. I am a Network Support Engineer in the Cisco Small Business Support Center. Thank you for using the Cisco Community Post Forums.

I understand your confusion on this issue. The wording within the GUI on the WRVS4400N v2 was reported awhile back but has never been changed.

The WRVS4400N v2 can have its signal repeated. As Marty stated above the best solution is to repeat to a WAP4410N, they were made to work with each other. The last statement on that page:

Note:

The WDS feature allows WRVS4400N to connect with up to 3 wireless repeaters that can be either WRVS4400N or WAP200.

Is what is wrong. It should have read

Note:

The WDS feature allows WRVS4400N to connect with up to 3 wireless repeaters that can be either WAP4410N or WAP200.

The WRVS4400N by nature is not a repeater so thee is no way that it can pick up a signal and repeat it.

I hope my attempt to clear this up has helped.

Thanks

Eric Moyers    .:|:.:|:.

Cisco Small Business US STAC Advanced Support Engineer

CCNA, CCNA-Wireless

866-606-1866

Mon - Fri 09:00 - 18:00 (UTC - 05:00)

*Please rate the Post so other will know when an answer has been found.

Thanks for the response guys

I will purchase a WAP4410N and see how I get on

Mike