Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco DNA Center - Enable embedded wireless controller on Catalyst 9300

palonso_3
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm trying to enable Embedded Wireless feature on a Catalyst 9300 that acts as a colocated Border & Control node.

I'm running the last version of DNA Center, 1.3.3.7

IOS-XE version on Catalyst 9300 - 16.12.3s

Same version for the Embedded Wireless Controller

On DNA Center, I go to Provision - Fabric, and click on the device I want to enable this feature.

Previously I enabled NETCONF feature on port 830.

Then I click on the check button to enable the Wireless Controller. In the next page DNA Center asks me to upload the image for the Wireless Controller, and this is the page (attached file) that I am stuck in, where I cant repeat the process or advance to the next option.

Any ideas on how to progress or repeat the process in a clean way again?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi all,

I've finally been able to resolve it after open a case to TAC and doing the next steps.

First of all, the problem is due to a bug from version 1.3.3.6.

eWLC Package import stuck at "Image Imported Successfully" - CSCvv18561

So the process, in DNA-C v1.3.3.7, would be, if the device is already in the fabric:

• Delete device from FABRIC
  • Delete device from inventory
  • Delete WLC package from DNA-C repository
  • Upload WLC package to device and activate it manually
  • Define SSID and RF Profile
  • Discover device with NETCONF enabled
  • Provision device
  • In the same step, add device to fabric as Border-Control-WLC
After that, Embedded WLC could be enabled in Border-Control device.

Thanks everyone and best regards

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13

bofele
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi @bofele ,

I've already done it. And it is uploaded now to DNA-C. But it is still  the same.

Image_DNAC.JPG

The case is that the image is not uploaded to the device and activated.

Thanks for your reply.

I've just tested on the other co-located border & control node, and I've had the same result.

Even more, I think that  this DNA-C version (1.3.3.7) or just DNA-C doesn't detect if the image is already in the repositoy. As I had to do it again. But first I had to delete the previous one so that DNA-C allows me to upload the same image again.

Once uploaded and imported to the repository, DNA-C says it was successful, but again DNA-C didn't upload the image to the device and didn't activate it. The same page as before.

I'm goint to think if it could be a bug of DNA-C version, or in the IOS-XE version (16.12.3s), but this last thing I think it is more unlikely.

Thanks and any ideas how to resolve this will be very much appreciated.

Best regards

Hi,

I have just deployed eWLC on a Border/CP Cat9300 node without any issues. DNAC version 1.3.3.6 with a Cat9300-24U running IOS-XE 16.12.03s. My DNAC is a minor version behind yours but I doubt version is the cause of the issue.

I used the following procedure:

1. Enabled netconf-yang on the Cat9k and rediscovered in DNAC. Cat9k displayed (WLC Capable) in the inventory
  2. Toggled wireless to enable on the co-located Border/CP Cat9k under Fabric Infrastructure
  3. Uploaded the below image directly from my PC and selected 'Activate image after import'. As soon as DNAC imported the image, it moved straight to activation as below

ewlc image activate.PNG

Note that I did not upload the eWLC image to DNAC prior to the above

Image: C9800-SW-iosxe-wlc.16.12.03s.SPA.bin

If the image is not activating then I wonder if an error occurred during the install pre-check/distribution operation. Can you check 'Image Update Status' under Devices -> Inventory and see if the image distribution/activation tasks are listed and if any errors are reported such as flash check ? Screenshot from my DNAC below

image update status.PNG

Can you also try deleting the eWLC package from the DNAC image repository and try again following the above procedure and uploading the eWLC image when prompted after enabling wireless on your Border/CP?

Hi @willwetherman ,

Thank you very much for your information.

My switches are C9300-48U with DNA and Network advantage licenses. I've redone the discovery of both border & control nodes. Both with netconf-yang enabled. DNA-C detected both switches correctly with NETCONF available.

I've followed all your steps that were the same I did before. I've deleted the WLC package, and re-uploaded again.

It seems that the process has stuck on the same step, and each time I go to this page, it always shows the same. I attach it.

Whatever I do, it always shows this.

Image_DNAC_2.JPG

How could I revert this situation to the original state? 

Thanks for all and regards

Hmm, it should work. What kind of license do you have? eWLC requires DNA Advantage.

Hi @bofele ,

Both Border & Control switches, CAT9300, have DNA-advantage license.

border-cp-2-sdapoc#sh license summary
Smart Licensing is ENABLED

Export-Controlled Functionality: NOT ALLOWED

License Authorization:
Evaluation Period Remaining: 28 days, 1 hours, 7 minutes, 33 seconds

License Usage:
License Entitlement tag Count Status
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
(C9300-48 Network Advan...) 1 EVAL MODE
(C9300-48 DNA Advantage) 1 EVAL MODE

Is it right like this?

Thanks and regards

Hi,

You need to assign the license to the switches. Currently they are working in Evaluation Mode. However, in this mode all the functions of the switches should be working. You can assign the license by

1-Directly allowing the switches connected over HTTPS to Cisco.com

2-Either through a Proxy

3-Mediated access through On-Prem Smart Software Manager

4-Mediated access through a disconnected On-Prem CSSM.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3850/software/release/16-9/configuration_guide/sys_mgmt/b_169_sys_mgmt_3850_cg/configuring_smart_licensing.html

Regards,

I believe in your case SWIM process is failing, Can you re-try the SWIM process by doing a dummy upgrade to a different IOS-XE image and see if the process goes through fine. There are a couple of reasons SWIM can fail, am listing down a few of them here

1) TLS version mismatch.

2)Route issues between DNAC and Device.

try the following debugs on Cisco DNAC  and hand it over to TAC

magctl service logs -r file-service > file-service.log(swimm)

Have a look at the following guide:

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/cloud-systems-management/network-automation-and-management/dna-center/deploy-guide/cisco-dna-center-sd-access-wl-dg.pdf?cachemode=refresh

Look under the section where the steps are defined for enabling EWC on 9k.

9800 Embedded Wireless LAN Controller(EWC)

Hi all,

I've finally been able to resolve it after open a case to TAC and doing the next steps.

First of all, the problem is due to a bug from version 1.3.3.6.

eWLC Package import stuck at "Image Imported Successfully" - CSCvv18561

So the process, in DNA-C v1.3.3.7, would be, if the device is already in the fabric:

• Delete device from FABRIC
  • Delete device from inventory
  • Delete WLC package from DNA-C repository
  • Upload WLC package to device and activate it manually
  • Define SSID and RF Profile
  • Discover device with NETCONF enabled
  • Provision device
  • In the same step, add device to fabric as Border-Control-WLC
After that, Embedded WLC could be enabled in Border-Control device.

Thanks everyone and best regards

Hi @palonso_3 , I am experiencing the same issue and have attempted the "workaround" in the bug description, however, still stuck in the same place.

Your steps are different to the bug workaround steps, namely "Upload WLC package to device and activate it manually".

I'm assuming you are referring to copying the image directly to the Cat9K from your laptop?

Can you elaborate on these steps?

If your company is like mine, my new laptop is totally locked down so I can not transfer a file using the traditional means (TFTP, FTP, SFTP, SCP).

So I had to use HTTPS. Config added to switch:

ip http server
ip http secure-server
ip http authentication local

Then, Connect using browser to switch using HTTPS
Administration > Software Management > Software Upgrade
Upgrade Mode: Install
Transport Type: Desktop (HTTPS)
File System: Flash
Source File Path: (Select File)
Download and Install

Checked package has been installed correctly on the switch:

# show install summary

[ Switch 1 ] Installed Package(s) Information:
State (St): I - Inactive, U - Activated & Uncommitted,
C - Activated & Committed, D - Deactivated & Uncommitted
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Type St Filename/Version
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PKG C flash:C9800-SW-iosxe-wlc.16.12.03s.SPA.bin
IMG C 16.12.3s.0.47

Auto abort timer: inactive

Hi,

That's right. I uploaded the file from my PC to the switch via TFTP. In my case, this type of transfer is enabled in our devices.

Sorry for the delay.

Thanks and regards