Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco SDA Access Extended Node C3560-CX and C3650 Fabric Edge

Hello, 

I have a situation where we need to connect Extended node to fabric edge , and I have the follwoing questions:

1- Can we connect the extended node switch c3560-CX to fabric edge C3650 ? (as far as I know it should be supported, but I need double confirmation).
2- Can I connect multiple extended node switches to the same fabric edge switch ?

Thanks & BR
Moamen
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

As a general rule we recommend EOS (End of Sale) switches are removed from SDA fabrics as soon as feasible please. 3650 and 3850 are EOS and cannot advance past IOS XE 16.12 while we have 17.1-17.13 (lots of features) available for C9K. Sorry I am not aware of any doc that says EX (Extended Node) is not supported on 3650 Fabric Edge Node but I have checked with the developers and I can confirm SDA will not automate the EX when it's homed to 3650. I have asked for the CatC data sheet to be updated to communicate this. If you configure 3560CX manually it should work the same as a CatC-automated Extended Node. Note CTS inline tagging not supported in the 3560CX hardware regardless of whether it's an CatC automated EX or a manually configured switch.

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

1. u can (everytime u need to check HW/SW compatibility pls use Cisco Software-Defined Access Compatibility Matrix)
2. u can

Hello Andy,

Thanks for your reply, but where you can find this peace of info in the compatibility matrix ?

For example : I can see Cat9200 listed as Fabric edge in the compatibility matrix, however as per the extended node design guide, it can't support extended node behind it.

But I can't find any similar info about the Cat3650 to confirm if it supports or not.

Please check the link and the technical tip below regarding Cat9200

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/solutions/Verticals/EE/DG/ee-dg/ee-dg.html

Quote " Tech Tip: Devices that support extended nodes/policy extended nodes are the Cisco Catalyst 9300, Cisco Catalyst 9400, and Cisco Catalyst 9500 series switches when configured as fabric edge. Cisco Catalyst 9200 series switches do not support extended nodes." 

Thanks & BR

Moamen 

about 3560-CX it's there:

andydoesntlikeuucp_0-1721669370240.png

unfortunately i have no sources preventing from using 3650 as EN connecting any kind of XN. u may need to doublecheck it with your Cisco SE. or contact @jedolphi for support.
here is also one tread u may be interesting to read: SD Access extended nodes. - Cisco Community

Hi, Extended Nodes automated by SD-Access are supported when the parent Fabric Edge Node is C9300, C9400 or C9500. Extended Node not supported with older Fabric Edge Nodes like 3650/3850/4500/etc. If you cannot upgrade Edge Node to C9300+ then only other option is to manually configure 3560CX and connected to C3650 Edge Node Trunk port.

Hello @jedolphi 

Thanks for your reply, and after this manual configuration, the switch will work normally as extended node ?

So the problem will be only in the automation of the extended node discovery and configuration ? 

Could you please help me out in finding configuration guide for this type of manual configuration , so I can share with implementation team.

Thanks a lot for your support.

Moamen

Hi Moamen. Edge Node Trunk port will pass VLANs back and forth to 3560CX, and 3560CX should work as a normal L2 switch if it's configured correctly. I'm not aware of an an SDA configuration guide for non-SDA switches (manual 3560CX is a non-SDA switch), however if you configure it like any typical L2 access switch it should be fine. Some high level slides in BRKENS-2008.

Hi @jedolphi 

Thanks for your clarification, but could you please advise if there any document that says C3650 can't support Extended node behind it ? 

I need this because the customer insist to use the C3650 as he believes it should work, plus that I have opened case with partner helpline GVE , and they says that C3650 indeed can support extended C3560-CX behind it !

So if there any mention in release notes or deign guide ( I searched in all of that, and I can't find)

And could you please advise what is the difference that customer will notice between the 2 cases (c3560-CX as SDA Switch , and the C3560-CX as NON-SDA switch)  in the day to day operation and user policies?

I can see the following points in the cisco live presentation you have shared:• Unlikely to support Group-Based Policy.
• GBP could start at the Edge Node.
• May not receive the benefits of Cisco DNA
Center base Automation and Assurance

Are there any other differences ?

Thanks & BR

Moamen 

"And could you please advise what is the difference that customer will notice between the 2 cases (c3560-CX as SDA Switch , and the C3560-CX as NON-SDA switch)  in the day to day operation and user policies?"
in last case u will need to do ALL configuration on the c3560CX manually/via network templates.

Hello Andy, 

Thanks for your reply, but my main concern not related to the configuration, as we will do the configuration as a partner, but my main concern about the operation and the features the customer may lose in the last case (Non-SDA switch)

What I mean, if I will have to do extra manual configuration, but the customer will not lose a significant features, so this will be OK with me and with the customer.

That's why I need to confirm if the customer will notice any differences in the operation /losing features

Thanks 

Moamen  

there are almost none specific SDA features for the XNs other than configuration automation (it will be specifically sensitive with cts configuration). SDA XN is basically L2 NEAT switch from the networking perspective.

As a general rule we recommend EOS (End of Sale) switches are removed from SDA fabrics as soon as feasible please. 3650 and 3850 are EOS and cannot advance past IOS XE 16.12 while we have 17.1-17.13 (lots of features) available for C9K. Sorry I am not aware of any doc that says EX (Extended Node) is not supported on 3650 Fabric Edge Node but I have checked with the developers and I can confirm SDA will not automate the EX when it's homed to 3650. I have asked for the CatC data sheet to be updated to communicate this. If you configure 3560CX manually it should work the same as a CatC-automated Extended Node. Note CTS inline tagging not supported in the 3560CX hardware regardless of whether it's an CatC automated EX or a manually configured switch.

Hello @jedolphi 

Thanks a lot for your support, now it is fully clear 

Have a nice day.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card