Views
Helpful
Replies

External network at the edge

taytibob
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I have an sd access campus network and some edge nodes are located in a building where there is an external network. 

I need to have a connection to the external network from the edge of the campus 

I can't connect the external network to the border nodes 

What to do ?

Thanks 

2 Replies 2

Scott Hodgdon
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

taytibob,

There are a few options that can be used here, but a little more information is needed to choose the correct one:

How many clients / hosts are on this external network ?

What device would connect to the fabric edge , and how ?

What is the destination of this external network traffic (Internet, other external network hosts, DC, WAN, etc) ?

What kind of redundancy is required for this connection ? For example, would connecting across two stack members be sufficient or would you need redundancy across wiring closets ?

How many subnets would be handed from the external network device to the fabric edge ?

Can you provide a topology diagram for this ?

Cheers,
Scott Hodgdon

Senior Technical Marketing Engineer

Enterprise Networking and Cloud Group

Scott,

The number of hosts in the external network is less than 5. But in reality only one or two need to communicate with the campus network.

As depicted on the diagram attached , a distribution switch would be connected to the edge switch via l2 portchannel.

The devices in the external network need to communicate with devices in the datacenter connected to fusion routers.

Thank you