cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2 VSANs and FC Links To Storage

thehxman101
Level 1
Level 1

I have 2 MDS 9148s and would like to create 2 VSANs, no problem.

All the storage is located on one EMC (2 FC links from the controllers to the MDS).

The issue I have is can I have a port a member of 2 VSANs, I would think not. The reason is, the current FC links to the MDS from the EMC is in one zone. So how do I allocate another storage pool to the other VSAN if it's already allocated to another? Do I have to run more Fibre Cables to the controllers?

Thanks

6 Replies 6

Hello

Your layout is not 100% clear..

You have 2 switches, I assume they are NOT connected together and are for resilliance?

The EMC, is that 2 links total or 2 links to each switch?

It "sounds" like the switches are connected and you want 2 VSAN's across both of them - if thats the case, what are you trying to achieve?

Steven

The layout is above..... I was thinking of 2 VSANs (10 and 15) that would be mapped to different storage pools in the EMC VNX. My confusion (new to MDS from Brocades) is the MDS configuration.mIn the typical SAN layout above with VSANs we have redundant paths to the storage controllers. So the above pic has one VSAN (10 let's say) and the MDS ports are assigned to this VSAN. Would I not have to run another set of Fibre Cables from the Fabric Interconnects to the MDS and from the MDS to the EMX STorage array to assign these ports to another VSAN (15). I think I am missing something.....

Or can I use FC Port Channels on these MDS ports to share VSAN 10 and 15????

Thanks

OK, so 2 seperate switches.

I'd create a single new VSAN on each switch (purely because it's not best practive to use VSAN 1), put all ports in that VSAN, and zone as appropriate.

You appear not to have any need to extra VSAN's.

No, you cannot have a port in 2 or more VSAN's

I hope that helps

Steven

I tought I could use FC Port Channel to carry all VSANs (Trunk)?

yes, you can trunk, but only between switches.  Not end devices.

when you configured your UCS FI , did you put them in host mode so they are using NPV to connect to 9148 ?

@dynamoxxx