cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Bandwidth requirement for Storage over WAN

osindero
Level 1
Level 1

Working on a project for storing data across geographically dispersed locations, I need to be able to estimate how much bandwidth that will be required to do remote mirroring. I assume the initial data has been loaded on my backup servers at the 2 locations but I need to have a fair idea of how much bandwidth remote mirroring will translate to for approx 1Gb change in my main site server data.

Could anyone please help out.

2 Replies 2

jdonalds
Level 1
Level 1

The amount of bandwidth required will be a function of two details. 1) what is the timeframe that the change takes place over? ie. does the 1gb change happen in 1 hr, 1 day, or 1 week? and 2) Since this remote mirroring will be async, how much delta between the databases are you willing to allow? ie. can the remote be 1 min out of sync, 10 min out of sync, or more? Since most db work is bursty, if we are given longer periods to sync the data, we can use a lower bw link.

These two questions need to be thought about and answered before a good answer can be given. You need to balance the cost of lost data vs. the cost of higher throughput circuits.

The changes will take place virtually often, activity will always go on.

On how much delta between the database, we can still allow a time frame of about an hour or more.