cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco MDS 9513 switch: two supervisor-2 in error state (red led) - how to preserve switch configuration and replace them?

MauroTridici
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All,

this is first time I try to ask Cisco Community how to solve a problem.

My old Cisco mds 9513 fiber channel switch is not usable due to a dual failure on both supervisor-2 elements.

Both the two supervisors have a red status led. So, I decided to acquire a new supervisor-2 part in order to replace (at least) one of the damaged ones. My question is: the switch configuration has been definitively lost or I could recover it in some way?
I hope that I selected the right channel to ask my question.

Thank you in advance.

Mauro

4 Replies 4

AVRAHAM NINO
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Mauro,
It is very unlikely to loss both Supervisors on the same MDS9513.
Have you tried power off the device for a few minutes, remove all cards and power on only with one of the supervisors?
If not working try the same with the other supervisor.
Make sure you have a console connection .
If you have not acquired replacement sup-2 yet, I advise you to acquired Sup-2A.
Good Luck

Hello Avraham,

thank you very much for your reply.

I just tried to follow your suggestions, but, unfortunately, nothing changed.

So, I will acquire a new supervisor.

Last question: do you know if configuration is saved in the supervisor and where it resides? Is it on a removable memory that could be placed on the new supervisor or I have to repeat configuration from scratch?

Thank you again,

Mauro

Hello Mauro,

Did you connect a serial console to check for the errors?

What if the issue is not the supervisors but the chassis ? Can yo check it with a different sup before you purchase new ones?

Regarding the configuration, if you didn't save it outside of the sup, you probably lost it.

If the MDS is part of a fabric, after configuring the basic configuration the rest can be exported from the Principal .

Hello Avraham,

yes, I connected a serial console to both the supervisors, but they are unresponsive.

Red led on both the supervisors. First supervisor died 4 months ago and now the second one stopped working.

From the back side of the FC switch, I can see that:

- redundant power supply are up and running;

- fabric-clock module are not running (red led)

Unfortunately, I can't check the chassis with a different supervisor.
I'm very worried, if the problem is the chassis...how can I check it?
Thank you for your help.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card