cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Nexus 5672up NPV mode connect Brocade 300 failure

cmccready1
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to interconnect a Brocade 300 and a Cisco 5672up.  This is a small SAN environment. (8 ports on the Brocade and 12 ports on the Nexus)  It is native FC ( fibre channel ).  My target is on the Brocade.  There are initiators on both the Nexus and the Brocade.

I am struggling to get devices that are attached to the Nexus to initate SAN connectivity with the target on the Brocade.  I would appreciate your guidance.

The Brocade 300 is running v7.4.1d

The Nexus is running v7.3(0)N1(1)

Option 1 was to run ISL between the two switches.  That seemed easy enough since I had no trouble running ISL between a pair of Brocade 300's.  I disconnected the second Brocade 300 and replaced it with the Nexus.  I cross-connected the Brocade with the Nexus. The Nexus received the zone config from the Brocade.  Great, right? ... Problem was that Brocade did not see the initiators from the Nexus.  (I ran the Nexus VSAN in interop mode 3, which appeared to be appropriate for the versions of firmware that are running.)

Option 2 was to run AG (Access Gateway) on the Brocade.  I enabled AG.  The Nexus could see the WWNs from the Brocade.  Unfortunately, there are initiators on the Brocade in addition to the target and I only have 1 pair of fiber connecting the two FC switches over some distance.  (AG mode does not permit typical initiator-target behavior as it expects only initiators.  I guess if I had an extra fiber cross-connect I could have moved my target to one of the interfaces on the Nexus or run a second port-map on the Brocade)

Option 3 was to run the Nexus in NPV mode. (there are no targets on the Nexus).

- I returned the Brocade to non-AG (switch) mode and enabled NPV on the Nexus.  The Nexus NP port connects to the Brocade.  The Brocade sees the Nexus as a single WWN and I get FLOGI errors on the F ports of the Nexus.  The F-ports eventually go into 'errDisabled' status.

>> error messages

%NPV-3-ACL_UPDATE_FAILED: Device FLOGI entry update failed for pwwn 21:00:00:1b:32:8a:54:d1 on server interface fc2/23 : Device Name:[0x3FF] Instance:[63] Error Type:[(null)] code:[255]

%NPV-3-LS_RJT_SENT: %$VSAN 1%$ LS_RJT is sent on server interface fc2/23 to oxid 0xafb fcid 0x000000 with action 0x0 rsn 0x5 expln 0x0

%NPV-5-UNEXPECTED_EVENT: %$VSAN 1%$ FLOGI FSM for pwwn 21:00:00:1b:32:8a:54:d1 on server interface fc2/23 has received an unexpected event NPIVP_FLOGI_EV_SERVER_VSAN_INTF_DOWN in the current state NPIVP_FLOGI_ST_WAIT_ON_FCID_DEL

2 Replies 2

cmccready1
Level 1
Level 1

I upgraded the Nexus to 7.3(2)N1(1) and now all is working.  I'm not sure if it was the OS upgrade or the reboot that resolved the issue.

Finally after the Nexus upgrade, which more are you using? ISL? NPV? 

I'm looking to achieve almost the same thing as we're looking to replace a pair of Brocade 300 with two Nexus and move also the storage on the Nexus side. 

Thanks, 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: