cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Create a new Data-Center with 2 FIs and 1 N5K .... basics....

Ron Baduach
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Guys,

Until now i used to know one topology - 2 FIs , each one connected to his own N5K .

Now, we need to build from scratch an environment with 2 FIs, but only one N5K .

I need some help to understand what I need to do . I can't find myself :/ . need someone that will "show me the way" .

I want to work with two different VSANs [let's say 20 for fabric A, and 30 for fabric B] .

1. Which ports should i connect from the FI the the N5K ? regular ports ? or FC ports ? 

.2 Then , what should i configure on the N5K on those ports ? port-channel for each fabric , and also VFC ? or what ?

3. And, what should I configure in this area at UCSM ? [see screenshot]

I'm sorry for the non-well organized question , it's because i'm very confused ....

Any logical assistant will help , anything that will lead me to understand what I need to do .

Big thanks in advance ,

4 Replies 4

Walter Dey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Ron

With one N5k, you have of course no HA !

Regarding FC; you create a logical dual fabric on a single N5k, separating them e.g. with their own VSAN's. 

Regarding Ethernet, any vpc is of course not possible, classical pc however are possible. Your UCSM cannot see any difference to a real dual N5k configuration.

I hope this is not a customer design, only for your lab :-)

Walter.

Hi Wlater , thanks for your reply 

Of course it's for our lab :] 

I did the following connections, will you be able to let me know if it can work ? 

FI-A connected to n5k with 2 fcoe cables, configured as Unified Uplink .

FI-B connected to n5k with 2 fcoe cables, configured as Unified Uplink .

On the n5k , i did those configs :

1. created Port-channel for those two links from FI-A [Po201] , and  Port-channel for those two links from FI-B [Po202] . (of course they are in mode trunk)

2. I bind Po201 to VFC1 [VSAN 1021] , and Po202 to VFC2 [VSAN 1022]

Until now, it's fine on the n5k side ?

Hi Ron

Looks ok to me; question: what is your storage ? FC, or FCoE, or IP (iSCSI, NFS,...).

Multihop FCoE is what you are going for ?

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/servers-unified-computing/ucs-manager/116188-configure-fcoe-00.html

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/nexus-5000-series-switches/116248-configure-fcoe-00.html

Walter.

Hi Walter ,

Thanks !

1. We have FC and also FCoE storage 

2. Question : I see on the n5k this output [while checking few things i saw it] :

"Vsan 1021 is down (Vlan not FCoE Enabled)"

What does it means ? what should I do ?

|||||||||| EDIT ||||||||| |||||||||| EDIT ||||||||| |||||||||| EDIT ||||||||| |||||||||| EDIT |||||||||

I found what to do , in this article ! :]

http://blog.scottlowe.org/2009/10/25/setting-up-fcoe-on-a-nexus-5000/

Thanks anyway .

I'll keep going, and will see if I'll have some more questions .