Views
Helpful
Replies

Create an Additional Zone MDS 9710

AhmedAhmed123
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, 

I have added a new Zone to the Zoneset and did not activate the Zoneset. Will the new zone work/take effect?

few more clarification

1. Activating the zoneset , will it refresh all the existing zones in that zoneset? Can it be done during working hours? 

2. What if I don't save the zoneset configuration "copy running-config startup-config". until the device is rebooted?

Thanks for your details answer. 

Regards

Ahmed 

4 Replies 4

Jaderson Pessoa
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I have added a new Zone to the Zoneset and did not activate the Zoneset. Will the new zone work/take effect?

few more clarification

1. Activating the zoneset , will it refresh all the existing zones in that zoneset? Can it be done during working hours? 

R: No, it will allow you to work on activated zone and can be done during working hours. 

2. What if I don't save the zoneset configuration "copy running-config startup-config". until the device is rebooted?

R: If you dont save you will lost your configuration unsaved after device reboot.

Looks it:

In general, we recommend that the number of zones equal the number of HBAs communicating with the storage device. For example, if there are two hosts each with two HBAs communicating with three storage devices, we recommend using four zones. This type of zoning is sometimes referred to as single initiator zoning. Preplan your zone configuration, keeping in mind that multiple zone sets can be configured, but only one zone set can be active. Keep documented backups of zone members and zones within zone sets. Device aliases or FC aliases should be used to simplify management whenever possible.

More detail: https://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5989/prod_troubleshooting_guide_chapter09186a008067a309.html

Jaderson Pessoa
*** Rate All Helpful Responses ***

Jaderson Pessoa
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

few more clarification

R: No, it will allow you to work on activated zone and can be done during working hours. 

R: If you dont save you will lost your configuration unsaved after device reboot.

More detail: https://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5989/prod_troubleshooting_guide_chapter09186a008067a309.html
Jaderson Pessoa

AhmedAhmed123
Level 1
Level 1

Hi  Jaderson,

Thanks for the replay. What I meant was, once I add the new Zone to the Zoneset, Is it mandatory to activate the Zoneset for the new zone to work?

Regards

Idrees 

Thanks for the replay. What I meant was, once I add the new Zone to the Zoneset, Is it mandatory to activate the Zoneset for the new zone to work?

R: No, it is not necessary to activate it to work. The fuction "activate" is to manage zoneset itself.
Jaderson Pessoa