Views
Helpful
Replies

DCNM - Device Alias Basic Mode

ciarangarvey
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I recently deployed a new version of DCNM and no longer have access to Fabric Manager, I see the functionality is now rolled up into DCNM. However, when I log into it I see none of my aliases have come in.

When I go to Configure - > SAN -> Device Aliases I get the following message:

"Warning: Seed switch XXXXX is in Device Alias Basic Mode. Only Enhanced mode is supported by Web client Device Alias Configuration. Use SAN client to change to the Enhanced mode."

In the Zoning section when I select one of my zones I can see it is zoned by fcAlias as in the attached screenshot. 

My question is - is there any danger of changing my switches from basic to enhanced alias mode, will any of my devices lose connectivity and will I lose all the fcAliases that I have setup?

Each of our fabrics have 5 x 9148 switches (code 5.2(8d) and 8 x bladecentre switches (code 5.2(8c)), if that makes a difference?

Thanks!

6 Replies 6

Rick1776
Level 5
Level 5
Yes there will be down time, you also have to make sure all mds switches are up to a certain SAN-OS version.

Please see the following link.
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/mds9000/sw/5_2/configuration/guides/fabric/DCNM-SAN/fm_fabric/ddas.html#wp1074963

"Yes there will be down time" - as in a "blip" while the fabric sorts itsself out? Or something major where we have to redo all the zoneing etc?

Thanks!

I would say that just to be in the safe side to do during a maintenance window depending on how you zone and the fabric to reconverge it will be more than a blip. Can’t say for sure

Thanks Rick. From your experience would the outage be in the orders of seconds or minutes? I'm just trying to gauge the window that I'll need.

Also looking for confirmation that if all items are zoned on fcAlias that there will be no re-config work required?

Actually - I'm seeing in the documentation on DCNM that I can use fcALias, the steps to change are:

Using Device Aliases or FC Aliases

You can change whether DCNM-SAN uses FC aliases or global device aliases from DCNM-SAN Client without restarting Cisco DCNM-SAN Server.

DETAILED STEPS

Step 1 Choose Server > Admin.

You see the Control Panel dialog box with the Fabrics tab open.

Step 2 For each fabric that you are monitoring with Cisco DCNM-SAN Server, check or uncheckthe FC Alias check box.

If you check the FC Alias checkbox, DCNM-SAN will use FC Alias from DCNM-SAN Client. If you uncheck the FC Alias checkbox, DCNM-SAN will use global device alias from DCNM-SAN Client.

Step 3 Click Apply to save these changes.

Problem is - there is no Server > Admin option.....

I would say minutes...