Views
Helpful
Replies

documentation needed about networking config storage environments

erwee1973
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

In my job there are more and more environments where I have to manage storage switches in vmware ESX environments with Netapp storage.

I was wondering if there is any documentation available about how to configure storage switches in these environments. I have checked with vmware, but with no luck.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you and kind regards,

Ralph Willemsen

Arnhem, Netherlands

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

maminhas
Level 1
Level 1

Ralph,

although it is not mentioned what is the type of switch connecting storage.

I am assuming it is cisco MDS storage switch..

here is the MDS switch configuration guide

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/mds9000/sw/4_1/configuration/guides/cli_4_1/ov.html

If you are looking for configuration of storage devices itself. that has to come from either VMWare or Netapp.

This support forum is perticularly focused on Cisco MDS/Nexus switching side.Are there any issues..configuring / attaching these devices on cisco switch side?

when you connect any server running Vmware ot netapp storage device on MDS switch. there is nothing special required on port side. Device is suppose to negotiate automatically with switch port and it comes UP or online state.

First thing you need to see .. Is the Port UP..  if Yes, switch side is good.

second is zoning. create zones for required devices to be zoned together and activate.thatz it..

rest all of the configuration is on Device side..means on VMware or Netapp device side .How you allocate disks/Lun/volume etc ..these things are outside of switch configuration,.

Have you opened a case with Vmware or Netapp or posted question on these vendors Support site.

Hope it gives a right direction.

Have you

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

maminhas
Level 1
Level 1

Ralph,

although it is not mentioned what is the type of switch connecting storage.

I am assuming it is cisco MDS storage switch..

here is the MDS switch configuration guide

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/mds9000/sw/4_1/configuration/guides/cli_4_1/ov.html

If you are looking for configuration of storage devices itself. that has to come from either VMWare or Netapp.

This support forum is perticularly focused on Cisco MDS/Nexus switching side.Are there any issues..configuring / attaching these devices on cisco switch side?

when you connect any server running Vmware ot netapp storage device on MDS switch. there is nothing special required on port side. Device is suppose to negotiate automatically with switch port and it comes UP or online state.

First thing you need to see .. Is the Port UP..  if Yes, switch side is good.

second is zoning. create zones for required devices to be zoned together and activate.thatz it..

rest all of the configuration is on Device side..means on VMware or Netapp device side .How you allocate disks/Lun/volume etc ..these things are outside of switch configuration,.

Have you opened a case with Vmware or Netapp or posted question on these vendors Support site.

Hope it gives a right direction.

Have you

Thanks a lot Maminhas, this is a good start I think.

With kind regards,

Ralph Willemsen

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card