Views
Helpful
Replies

how to disable MDS 9710 SAN switch

JMACD40
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am trying to find an Cisco NS-OX command that will disable the switch that is equivalent to the brcd FOS switchdisable , but I cannot seem to find anything yet for an NS-OX command.

Reason i need this is to test and prove redundancy between fabrics. We need to actually take a switch offline to prove the redundancy works - any gaps in this test will be identified and remedied

I thought about just issuing a shut on all of the fc interfaces, but not sure how to issue this for all ports at the same time

Just a note - the business is aware that some environments may experience issues if a switch is taken offline, but they are willing to accept this risk to identify any issues if a real problem occurs.

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I am not aware of a "switch disable" command in the MDS NX-OS. Short of shutting down your MDS switch
maybe you could perfom a vsan suspend to halt the traffic. It is somewhat symbolic of a SAN switch suddenly
dying and forcing attached devices to failover to the surviving SAN fabric.

Cisco does make note of the following in reference to VSAN disabling:
"When suspending or deleting VSANs, make sure that you suspend and unsuspend one VSAN at a time, and that you wait a minimum of 60 seconds after you issue the vsan suspend command before you issue any other config command. Failure to do so may result in some Fibre Channel interfaces or member ports in a PortChannel becoming suspended or error-disabled. "

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I have looked same way to do some testing, not found equivalent command.

there is good document found while i was doing research. may be useful( may not serve the purpose).

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

I am not aware of a "switch disable" command in the MDS NX-OS. Short of shutting down your MDS switch
maybe you could perfom a vsan suspend to halt the traffic. It is somewhat symbolic of a SAN switch suddenly
dying and forcing attached devices to failover to the surviving SAN fabric.

Cisco does make note of the following in reference to VSAN disabling:
"When suspending or deleting VSANs, make sure that you suspend and unsuspend one VSAN at a time, and that you wait a minimum of 60 seconds after you issue the vsan suspend command before you issue any other config command. Failure to do so may result in some Fibre Channel interfaces or member ports in a PortChannel becoming suspended or error-disabled. "