cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to get the IP of file storage connected to Cisco 4431 router?

txu
Level 1
Level 1

Hi community,

Green hand, first question here, probably a naive one, but I searched and couldn't find the answer. I'm not sure if this is the right board to ask. If not, please kindly let me know which one I should post to.

I'll try to provide as much information as possible, some of them may not be relevant though, however I don't want to miss any possible useful info.

Basically, we, company A, have a Cisco 4431 router installed in the network of company B. The router manages a few servers (mostly Ubuntu, and some Windows). I usually VPN into B, and ssh into one of the Ubuntu servers (U) to work in command line environment. Now we need add an external hard drive, to be specific, Aegis Padlock DT - USB 3.0 Desktop Drive (D)

https://www.apricorn.com/aegis-padlock-dt?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjNSl3bOR4gIVgdlkCh1fgwcGEAAYASAAEgJKPvD_BwE

to the router so that I can backup data from U to D. D will be connected to the router via USB portal.

My question is how I can find out the IP of D assigned by the router. What I tried so far were:

1, launch Firefox on U and enter 192.168.1.1 as address, but this could not show me the router admin page but error message. I did so because I can do this at my home and get the admin page). And 

2, I ssh into the router command line interface successfully, but I don't know what command(s) to use to see currently used IPs and related info. I tried to search some tutorial but didn't find the commands.

How can I find the IP of D assigned by Cisco 4431 router?

Thank you for your help!

-tx

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Francesco Molino
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Hi

Your router is assigning IP? If so, you can type sho ip dhcp binding command see what IP he assigned to which server?
If not the DHCP server, you can also use show ip arp to see all IP of all machines in the layer3 domain managed by this router.

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Francesco Molino
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Hi

Your router is assigning IP? If so, you can type sho ip dhcp binding command see what IP he assigned to which server?
If not the DHCP server, you can also use show ip arp to see all IP of all machines in the layer3 domain managed by this router.

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

Hi Francesco,
Thank you very much for your help!
Command
show ip arp
works. Command
show ip dhcp binding
does not return any info.
I cannot accept your answer yet, as I didn't have the driver plugged into the router yet so that I don't know if your answer could solve my question complete because I don't want to close the question yet. I think I'll have this done this week.

BTW, where can I find a list of commands? As a quick and brief tutorial.
Again, thanks a lot!
-tx

On Cisco website there are a lot of docs. If it's your first time i recommend you go into Cisco learning with ccna docs and start from there. You'll be able to find command on a per feature basis (config commands and troubleshooting commands). The commands i gave you'll be able to find them on ccna docs.
You can also start with networklessons website and they'll explain everything from the start.

If the dhcp command didn't return anything, this means the dhcp server isn't the router itself.

Thanks
Francesco
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: