Views
Helpful
Replies

Mapping traffic from external ports to internal ports - MDS 9124e

wissamnad
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I am new on thesse kind of configurations, but I have a HP Blade C3000 which contains a cisco switch MDS 9124e.

I need to connect this switch to some external Brocad switches. How to map the traffic coming from a specific downlink ports to specific uplink ports (Internal ports to external ports) using the SDM.

My example is: 4 servers are connected to 2 internal ports ( Servers 1,2 to Bay 1 and Servers 3,4 to Bay 2)

How should i control which external port will carry the traffic of a specific internal port?

2 Replies 2

zmeng
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Wissam,

I don't think there is a straight way to map internal port to external port. the alternation I am thinking is , you can try fcroute which can define the fabric path for a FCID. E.g:

The following example specifies the Fibre Channel interface and the  route for the domain of the next hop switch for VSAN 2:

switch# config terminal

switch(config)# fcroute 0x111211 interface fc1/1 domain 3 vsan 2

BR,
John meng

You can map internal to external using VSANs...Put the blade in slot x in vsan xxx and the external internal interface also into vsan xxx.

The real question is why you need to do this?  The external ports are usually used for ISLs to a core swtich, and they can be TE ports which carry multiple VSANs.

If you install a storage unit into one of the external ports, you can limit access by zoning.  The blade port and the external port would need to be in the same VSAN, and then on that VSAN you can create a zone/zoneset to permit the blade to access the storage port.

There really is no need to map traffic between the internal and external ports per se.

If you can provide more details as to what you need to accomplish, we can provide a more accurate reply.

Unless you are well versed in FSPF and fiber channel routing, I would steer clear of the fcroute commands or you could end up with asymetric traffic flows.

HTH,

Mike

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card