Helpful
Replies

MDS 9124: ISL between SAN-OS switch & NX-OS switch

b.e.leblanc
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

This is a 2 part question.

I've got a Cisco MDS 9124 in my HP c7000 Blade chassis running SAN-OS 3.2(2c) and I want to create an ISL to a stand-alone 1U Cisco MDS 9124 running NX-OS 5.0(7).

1. Will there be any compatability issues?

2. Alternately, Is it possible to do an ISL and not merge zones?

Thanks in advance,

-Brian

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

zmeng
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Brian,

for question 1:

Based on NX-OS 5.0(7) release note,

Minimum NX-OS or SAN-OS Release :

SAN-OS Release 3.3(1c) or later

NX-OS Release 4.1(1b) or later

Tested NX-OS and SAN-OS Releases

SAN-OS Releases 3.3(1c), 3.3(5)

NX-OS Releases 4.1(1b), 4.2(7a)

For Question2, I don't think it is possilbe to do an ISL without zone merge. Only one active zoneset in one vsan. Once you interconnect two mds switch, the zoneset in one vsan should be distribute and sychronized within the whole virtual fabirc.

BR,

John Meng

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

zmeng
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Brian,

for question 1:

Based on NX-OS 5.0(7) release note,

Minimum NX-OS or SAN-OS Release :

SAN-OS Release 3.3(1c) or later

NX-OS Release 4.1(1b) or later

Tested NX-OS and SAN-OS Releases

SAN-OS Releases 3.3(1c), 3.3(5)

NX-OS Releases 4.1(1b), 4.2(7a)

For Question2, I don't think it is possilbe to do an ISL without zone merge. Only one active zoneset in one vsan. Once you interconnect two mds switch, the zoneset in one vsan should be distribute and sychronized within the whole virtual fabirc.

BR,

John Meng

Thanks John,

I don't know why I never thought to look at the Release Notes.  Makes perfect sense, now!

I'll be sure to look there first next time.

-Brian

put 9124e in your HP enclosure into NPV mode and enable NPIV on your 9124 ..no need to merge anything.

@dynamoxxx

NPV mode is disruptive & switch wide isn't it?

The HP enclosure & all blades are already connected, setup & zoned to existing storage and I wouldn't want to cause any adverse effects to that environment by enabling a potential disruptive change feature.

yes, NPV is disruptive but something to consider for future implementations. Keeps your fabric smaller and simpler to manage.

@dynamoxxx
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: