Views
Helpful
Replies

MDS 9148s GUI zoning via DCNM-SAN

paul.stenzel1
Level 1
Level 1

Dear community,

I´m a little bit confused about the zoning of the MDS 9148s SAN switch.

Zoning via CLI is totally clear. I already performed this on several MDS switches

But now our customer wants to configure his zoning via GUI.

The former fabric manager is now DCNM-SAN, right?

When checking the download pages form cisco I´m not able to see a specific DCNM-SAN standalone package, this is integrated in the complete DCNM?

After installing my DCNM is installed with an evaluation license. I can remove this evaluation license from my MDS 9148s switches and can configure on at a time.

But what happens if my whole DCNM evaluation license expires? I found out that there is an essentials edition of the DCNM. Is this edition activated after the evaluation expires?

Is it possible to remove the evaluation license now and check out the essentials edition?

Sorry for this huge amount of questions. DCNM version is 7.2.

Have a nice weekend!

Paul

2 Replies 2

Walter Dey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Paul

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/sw/6_x/dcnm/installation/published/install/licensing_DCNM.html#27359

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/sw/6_x/dcnm/installation/published/install/licensing_DCNM.pdf

should answer most of your questions.

Walter.

jihicks
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Paul,

The former fabric manager is now DCNM-SAN, right?

Rather than a long detailed answer, yes.

When checking the download pages form cisco I´m not able to see a specific DCNM-SAN standalone package, this is integrated in the complete DCNM?

There is no longer a DCNM-SAN standalone.  DCNM 7.2 is DCNM-Server, both SAN and LAN.

You can still manage one unlicensed fabric at a time from DCNM-SAN as long as you are       running  the client on the server where DCNM is installed.  You can not manage an unlicensed fabric remotely.  Fabric Manager licenses are still recognized by DCNM.

After installing my DCNM is installed with an evaluation license. I can remove this evaluation license from my MDS 9148s switches and can configure on(e) at a time.

Yes.

But what happens if my whole DCNM evaluation license expires? I found out that there is an essentials edition of the DCNM. Is this edition activated after the evaluation expires?

You can still locally manage one fabric at a time, which includes zoning.

Is it possible to remove the evaluation license now and check out the essentials edition?

Yes, go in and remove the license from the switches.  You can "Unassign License" from the Control Panel on the DCNM SAN Client under the License Assignment Tab.

Best regards,

Jim

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: