cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Multiple UCSMs to MDS

Shea Lambert
Level 1
Level 1

I have a request concerning the recommended configuration of multiple UCSM's into two MDS 9148s.  

My current production UCSM (two chassis') is connected, via port channel groups, to the MDS 9148s; which are connected to one EMC VNX SAN.

What I'd like to do is connect an older USCM (only one chassis) to the EMC VNX SAN via the MDS 9148s.  

I'm a storage networking neophyte, so I'd like recommendations on how to accomplish this task.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

OK, should be very easy !

- You create the same VSAN's on the new UCS domain, as you did in the first UCS domain (I assume / hope you have different VSAN's for fabric A resp B).

- Be careful defining the pwwn and nwwn pools; they should be unique and different for the 2 UCS domains. (as a matter of fact, all pools, including UUID, MAC as well) should be unique.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Walter Dey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

It's easy and straightforward, however, we need your specific requirements:

- UCS domains share VNX

- UCS are configured in Fibrechannel end host mode (NPV) ?

- do you need shared access to the same lun's from both UCS ?

- do you want a complete storage (lun) isolation between UCS

- UCS domains share VNX ? Yes
- UCS are configured in Fibrechannel end host mode (NPV) ? Yes
- do you need shared access to the same lun's from both UCS ? Yes
- do you want a complete storage (lun) isolation between UCS ? No (The hosts are all ESXi servers, so they need access to all the LUNs)

OK, should be very easy !

- You create the same VSAN's on the new UCS domain, as you did in the first UCS domain (I assume / hope you have different VSAN's for fabric A resp B).

- Be careful defining the pwwn and nwwn pools; they should be unique and different for the 2 UCS domains. (as a matter of fact, all pools, including UUID, MAC as well) should be unique.

I have a separate Port-Channel on each Fabric.  They both use Fabric dual/vsan default (1)

you mean FC F-port-trunking-channeling ?

Using default VSAN is not recommended ! same caveats as the use of Vlan 1 !

Please use separate vsan for A and B, e.g. 10 and 20 !

Changing the prod to using separate vsans sounds like it could be disruptive.

Can you point me to some documentation that details this configuration?

Yes, it is disruptive ! you need a maintenance window.

I would also advice to use device alias for FC zoning. see eg.

A similar use case is Cisco Validated Design; ok its for Netapp and N5k not MDS; but the VSAN part, device alias and zoning is identical.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/solutions/Enterprise/Data_Center/Virtualization/flexpod_deploy.html#wp569152

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: