Views
Helpful
Replies

N9K and Fibre Channel support

NetCC
Level 1
Level 1

Hi community, 

I'm struggling trying to understand the feasibility of the following solution.

I have to replace an old FC switch.
Target storage and Initiator server are directly connected to it.
I would like to understand if i can replace it with a Nexus Switch.
I have a spare N9K-C93180YC-EX.
In the following Cisco Live presentation this model is present in the list of FC/FCoE supported switches:
https://www.ciscolive.com/c/dam/r/ciscolive/us/docs/2019/pdf/BRKDCN-2291.pdf

However is not clear to me if it really support native FC (not FCoE) protocol.
I've spent a lot of time on this I hope someone has understood this topic.

thank you

Best Regards

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

ttorpey
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

FCoE in NPV mode is supported on the 93180YC-EX switch.  https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus9000/sw/93x/fcoe/configuration/guide/b-cisco-nexus-9000-nx-os-fcoe-npv-configuration-guide-933/m-n9000-fc-npv-fcoe-npv-supported-hardware.pdf .  That does not perform the FC switching and services that you would still need.    Therefore you would need to create FCoE port channels to a core FCoe/FC switch (Hence another switch is needed).  Also, you would have to convert your existing hosts and target HBA Fibre Channel interfaces with CNA's.  In my opinion, it's not worth the work and cost vs buying a new, fairly inexpensive FC switch like the MDS 9124V, 9148V, 9132T, 9148T for example.  Another thing to keep in mind that N93180YC-EX switch went End of Sale last August.  

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

ttorpey
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello.  you would need the FX version of that switch to support native FC.  Unless your looking to consolidate Ethernet and FC on the same switch, My advice would be to look at the MDS line of switches as they are more fully featured and you can start as low as 8 ports on the 9100 series:  cisco.com/go/mds

Thank you so much for your reply.

It seems that also FCoE is not supported on theN9K-C93180YC-E despite what is reported in the Cisco Live presentation.
Maybe only FCoE NPV is supported on my switch and if I’ve understood properly it means that in NPV mode my  switch can work as a sort of hub to connect  nodes in a Fabre Channel fabric. 
Do you know if this is correct ?

ttorpey
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

FCoE in NPV mode is supported on the 93180YC-EX switch.  https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus9000/sw/93x/fcoe/configuration/guide/b-cisco-nexus-9000-nx-os-fcoe-npv-configuration-guide-933/m-n9000-fc-npv-fcoe-npv-supported-hardware.pdf .  That does not perform the FC switching and services that you would still need.    Therefore you would need to create FCoE port channels to a core FCoe/FC switch (Hence another switch is needed).  Also, you would have to convert your existing hosts and target HBA Fibre Channel interfaces with CNA's.  In my opinion, it's not worth the work and cost vs buying a new, fairly inexpensive FC switch like the MDS 9124V, 9148V, 9132T, 9148T for example.  Another thing to keep in mind that N93180YC-EX switch went End of Sale last August.