Helpful
Replies

Nexus 5000 n55-m16up SFP not present

lwilfredoflor
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Cisco Community,

Currently Im working on a case in witch I have the following:

actually two Nexus both with the following PDI and running 7.0(6)N1(1)

N5K-C5596UP-SUP        

N55-M16UP              

N55-M160L3-V2          

for the N55-M16UP we have 50% eth and the other 50% FC

1-8 eth

9-16 fc

only one of the Nexus its recognizing the SFP for ETH and FC (im going to call it Nexus2), the other one its only recognizing the SFP for ETH (im going to name it Nexus1). on Nexus1 when we put the ports 1-8 on eth and 9-16 on FC the sfp its good just on eth port but not on FC port, If I change the FC to ETH then the SFP its present on the whole module.

I already changed the N55-M16UP, ensure the sfp compatibility and check the licence, the config its the same in both Nexus, same features were enable, so Would like to know if you guys could give any advice.

Thanks in advance

23 Replies 23

Correct, I know they can support both but in version 6.x I always ran into a bug they mentioned above.

Hi Walter,

The FC port are allocated in the following way

ETH1-8

FC9-16

Hi Rick,

thanks for your reply, actually we have two nexus with same config, version, and interfaces type

on Nexus2, its working with the following

ETH1-8

FC9-16

Hi Rick, Finally cu scheduled an MW to perform several task, all with the same result, the last we did was reload the device, after that N5K start recognized all SFP on FC interfaces

dakester
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Might be hitting one of these bugs.

CSCuu59941    FC ports errDisabled - SFP vendor not supported after upgrade to 6.x/7.x – fixed in 7.3(0)N1(1) 7.2(1)N1(1) 7.2(0)N1(1) 7.1(2)N1(1) 7.0(7)N1(1)

CSCuv44148 Ports status "down (SFP not inserted)" although SFP present – found in 7.0(6)N1(1)
It has a disruptive workaround which might explain why the other switch works.

Consider 7.1(4)N1(1) or above.

Hi Dakester,  thanks for the reply

I checked both DDTS you mentioned:

CSCuu59941 - the only message I saw its "SFP not present" witch indicates there isn´t any sfp inserted but not  "fc2/16 is down (Error disabled - SFP vendor not supported)", so I discard this one 

CSCuv44148 - Could be this one, but the only question I have, is that for workarround, they use debug commands, pointing to an ETH interface. Since Im only getting the error with FC interfaces type, I belive this DDTS its for ETH type.

Even tho, I could ask for an upgrade 

Hi Dakester,

one more thing about CSCuv44148, actually the output is 

MXZITN5K01(config)# show int fc 2/9 transceiver

fc2/9 sfp not present

and the DDTS says "down (SFP not inserted)"

lwilfredoflor
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys well, finally we scheduled an MW with CU, multiple test was performed, all the same result, so we just reload the N5K and then, the N5K start looking for SFP on FC mode,

Thanks for your comments and experience.

Not a problem have a great weekend.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card